Day 06: Beautiful Otaru (Jul 2018)


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hokkaido » Otaru
July 13th 2018
Published: June 16th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Friday, 13th July 2019

From our hotel at Shin-Sapporo, we took a westbound train towards the direction of Otaru this morning. Otaru is one of the historical port cities located along this part of Hokkaido. One of the key sites that really stood out is the massive Railway Museum. Within the compound, it was divided into the indoor and outdoor galleries where there were as many as twenty locomotives on display. Over at the indoor gallery, train buffs should be happy to learn that there was even an opportunity to put on the uniform and pit cap to role-play the job of a Linesman.

Lunch was a special affair within a restored train carriage that is now home to a western restaurant. The delicious food, the beautiful decor and the impressive service made the whole dining experience a unique one to remember. After a hearty lunch, we proceeded towards the direction of the beautiful Otaru Canal. Years ago, we came by the city in the evening and were particularly impressed by the peaceful view of the canal. Fast forward ten years later, the canal is now littered with visitors even though it was still possible to find an ideal Instagrammable spot for photo-taking.

In the evening, we stopped by at the Ishiya Chocolate Factory for a quick visit and to take in more pictures of the beautiful western architecture. Our day ended well with a Shabu-Shabu dinner at one of the many restaurants in Aeon Mall. We liked to thank the service staffs at the restaurant who were particularly kind to non-Japanese speakers like us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb