Japan, Hokkaido, Day 12 Nakashibetsu to Rausu.


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hokkaido » Nakashibetsu
July 12th 2013
Published: July 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 12 Rausu
Hot again this morning with blue sky and a need for serious sun cream application. 32 degrees C on the road with a little breeze. Reasonably flat run but still climbed 490 m in 72 miles and burnt 1,200 calories. As we headed East towards the coast a mist settled in which felt like drizzle at one point. At 11.30 the sun came out again and the temperature back up to 30 as we followed the coast North to our destination of Rausu, which is as far as the continuous road goes. The coast is full of fishing villages and kelp farmers, who leave large nets out at sea for the kelp to attach to then winch them in. We decided to go another 15 miles up the coast to the end of the road at Aidomari, where there is a beach Onsen open to the public. It is a hot spring on the beach in a wooden structure with a tarpaulin roof and a wooden divide between the sexes and an option to jump into the sea between sessions of being boiled alive. Unfortunately, Pauline got into a low speed wobble this morning and fell on the high curb grazing her shoulder and calf. Luckily that is all and she carried on the rest of the day. James (18) has developed knee problems so has been in the van with Ken(amuchi). John got a puncture 2 miles from the hotel and a kind local gave him a hand, who told us he was a tri-athlete. He came out with his track pump, which makes quick work of pumping up to 100psi. Another go in the hotel outdoor Onsen and do my washing and then dinner. I hang my clothes up on hangers on the wardrobe, which is like an airing cupboard and they are dry by morning. The views on this coast are stunning and I am not sure if my photos will do them justice. We could see some large islands to the East which, whilst just off the coast of Japan, are claimed by Russia. I have got to say that this CTC Tour is a Tour in Gastronomy. The meals are all different and the attention to detail is astounding with a vast range of food. Tonight it was sushi, cooked fish, beef, crab, scallops and all manner of vegetables. The taste was incredible as long as you did not look. The good thing is that it is not fattening - I think/hope so. What the hell! it is good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

MealMeal
Meal

Part of meal only


12th July 2013

Spelling
Sorry about mis-spelling of Deer. just noticed after publishing.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb