Hiroshima and Miyajima island


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima
October 5th 2008
Published: October 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The torii at Miyajima island is so famous, it probably has been used by the Japanese tourist board zillions of times and I simply had to see it in spite of the fact that it rained all day today. The shrine itself is interesting and the island is also famous for its very tame deer that hassle people for food. The best way to get there from Hiroshima is by JR train and ferry as it is the quickest and is free for JR pass holders; plus the JR ferry has the best views of the torii as you approach (or leave) the island.

And then it was on to Hiroshima which is synonymous with the dropping of the first atom bomb. The building that has now become known as the A-bomb monument is a reminder of what devastation nuclear weapons can cause. Adjoining the monument is the peace memorial park. One section of the park that is particularly poignant is the memorial to Sadako Sasaki - a child who died of lukemia caused directly by exposure to the bomb's radiation. If you are not familiar with her life story then I suggest you do a google on her.

The peace musuem is a must-visit. I'll let the photos from exhibits in the museum speak for themselves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Paper cranesPaper cranes
Paper cranes

Sadako and the paper cranes.
Modern HiroshimaModern Hiroshima
Modern Hiroshima

Today Hiroshima is a beautiful, modern, city.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb