Miyajima


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima » Miyajima
September 15th 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Came highly recommended to visit, when we were in Hiroshima. So we caught the train (and ferry) out to Miyajima - one of Japan's three most scenic spots (honestly - that's what their brochure says!).

Miyajima is a small island with a few shrines, one in particular is quite large and has a torii out in the water (until the tide goes out). In fact the temple is over water when the tide is in. The island is lovely and also full of deer - with plenty of warnings about making sure the deer doesn't eat your passport. something we laughed at until we same the deers trying to eat anything near them - your cloths, plastic bags, camera straps...

The main shrine - the Itsukushima Shrine was first built in the sixth century, then redone in the late 1100's. It is a lovey shrine - orange with verandah like structures over the water. Lovely carvings and a beautiful view out to the torii gate. As the tide draws out so do the people! They wander out to the gate, stepping gingerly through the crabs!

There is other shrines on the island and a 5 story pagoda. there are also temples including the Daishoin Temple, which was pretty cool - surrounded by little 'gnomes' or little fat buddha type statues. they were fantastic and very funny.



It is only a day trip if that to the island from Hiroshima - very easy to get to. Jump on the train and then on to a ferry. You wander along the 'foreshore' to the main shrine then check out other temples and shrines. There is a town there so plenty of choice for food and so we had another great meal. There is a cable car also however the weather was not the best and there was no visibility so we didn't go on it.

A great day so thanks for the tip Bec!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

O-torii GateO-torii Gate
O-torii Gate

Low tide


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb