Gifu, Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Gifu
October 12th 2006
Published: October 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody!
We had a smooth flight to Nagoya, Japan. At the airport, we caught a fast train to Gifu, a fairly large city north of Nagoya. I enjoyed seeing the country from the train. We saw a few rice fields but most of the land was occupied with industry or homes built close together. As we passed train stations, you would see hundreds of parked bikes. Often Japanese could be seen working in their small plots of gardens tending greenery or vegetables. The shrubs and trees were all pruned in beautiful geometric shapes. People drive on the left here as they did in Hong Kong. One sad note is the number of individuals that we have seen with deformities. Many are bow legged, extremely pigeon toed, crossed eyes, and other problems. I suddenly realized how far we have come in helping children with these problems in the US. We walked to our hotel from the train station. It was a little difficult because no one spoke English. You cannot just walk across the streets here as you couldn't in HK. You have to go down steps, through tunnels, or up elevators to get across walks. Lugging a 50 lb. suitcase down steps is not fun! We continue to see school children in uniforms and they are classy looking.
Today should be interesting! Hopefully, we will find someone who speaks English that can help.
Take care,
E

Advertisement



13th October 2006

Ohio;-) is that hello in Japanese?
Greetings from Anniston, Everette and Walt! Your adventures are exciting to read about. I know what you mean about great shopping opportunities in Hong Kong- Lewis and I were there once. I remember how near the planes fly to the city. We could look in people's windows from the plane. I'd love to see Japan someday. I hope you find someone who speaks English soon. It's in the 60s here today so it finally feels like Fall. Bon Voyage, Evelyn
15th October 2006

Hi!
We're home from Seaside and had a great week there. Caroline called and said you arrived safely. Have you been able to unfold your legs yet from that 15 hr. flight? Glad it's going well. Stay safe.

Tot: 0.331s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb