Niihama Nights


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Ehime
October 1st 2006
Published: October 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Happy Birthday Ziggy!Happy Birthday Ziggy!Happy Birthday Ziggy!

Gillen, Stephanie, Dameon and Ziggy at our Hawaiian party Friday night.
Niihama, the ummmm, beautiful (?) port town in northern Ehime prefecture of Shikoku Island. I headed out Friday night after classes with Gillen, Ziggy and Stephanie (a good little crew) to celebrate Ziggy's bday with some friends in Niihama. After a quick train ride and taxi into the center of town, we strolled the snack bar lined streets of Niihama until finding a small gathering of people (both JETs and NOVA teachers) in a Hawaiian bar. A few tequila shots later and Ziggy was encoured by our new Japanese buddies to make a birthday speech.

Saturday afternoon we hit up a great little cafe for Okonomiyake as a late bfast. Its a pancake-ish egg mixture that includes veggies and meat if you want it, sometimes noodles. It is cooked on the frying table in front of you and you basically cook it yourself, then spread some good sauce over the whole thing and enjoy!

A quick cab ride to Marine Park along the coast and we found ourselves surrounded by an industrial port with ships and warehouses...wondering where this pretty little camping park was to be? After turning a corner around the big hill of lush gree we found
Fireworks!Fireworks!Fireworks!

Don't worry mom, no shells were lit off that close to my face. Mostly just your faves...fountains!
the oasis of JETs running free among the palm trees and sand. The AJET party went down very well, playing footie (football, or as we like to say soccer), bbq-ing Japanese soba noodles, dancing on the beach and fireworks. A late night indeed but well worth it. My back is still a little sore from the tents...but nothing that can't be cured at the onsen/spa near my flat in Hojo!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Rocking outRocking out
Rocking out

Didn't get enough sing-alongs at the elementary schools? Just talk to Duncan...


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb