Day 6: Meeting CIEE Program


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Chiba » Narita
March 18th 2009
Published: March 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=LEaKYxcgFi4][youtube=XN1tXs1x67I]
SobaSobaSoba

The Soba set I ordered. I like this when my dad makes it.
Day 6: Meeting CIEE Program
10:00am: I woke up, took shower, fixed self, went online, fixed bed, packed, wrote letter to Ate Reci & Aimi.

12:00pm: I left to go to the train station with my heavy suitcase, bookbag, and a plastic bag of clothes.

12:05pm: The train I took stopped at Minami-Urawa and changed to RAPID to Kamata. I left the train because Ate Reci said that if I'm unsure, leave the train. I went out of the train, back on, back out, walked to one side of the train platform, walked to the other side, looked at the signs, and finally I admitted I'm confused. I couldn't find the Omiya train.

12:15pm: I asked a stranger and my mind went Japanese blank...I panicked and pointed at the train and said in Japanese, "Excuse me, does that photo go to Omiya is?" more specifically I said, "Sumimasen, kono shashin omiyani iku desu ka?" I thought "shashin" was the word for train!! The man was so kind and said that the train for Omiya was on the other platform on the other side. I thanked him. I get more courage to speak every time I speak in Japanese.
Lush is HERELush is HERELush is HERE

I thought this was an American company.


12:30pm: I arrived at Omiya station. I realized that I forgot to eat breakfast but I was in a hurry to go to Narita Airport, so I followed the bus signs. I carried my heavy suitcase down the long stairs. I went outside and realized that the buses are only local...not going to Narita Airport. I carried my heavy suitcase back up the long stairs. I found the ticket service and asked for the Narita Airport bus ticket. The service lady told me that I need to go to the Narita ticket booth downstairs. I looked confused, so the lady put a "closed" sign on her window, went out of the counter, and escorted me to the Narita bus ticket booth. I felt grateful and a little embarrassed that I forgot what I learned in school. The Japanese are just TOO kind!! TOO KIND!!

12:48pm I make it on the ON-Liner bus to go to the Narita Airport and put my suitcase in the bus.

12:50pm The bus leaves. I fall asleep, used the restroom (it's better than the Keisei bus's), I wrote a little in my mini journal, and stared at the clock. It was REALLY
My BedMy BedMy Bed

Marroad International Hotel Narita
HOT and the driver didn't turn on the air conditioner. I didn't sit next to a window that I can open. I was really suffering from the heat.

2:30pm I got out and got my suitcase. I walked around Narita Airport, picked up my luggage that I sent from Warabi and put them on a cart. I couldn't find the CIEE people in the yellow t-shirts. I walked on the 1B floor, 4th floor, 3rd floor, and I gave up. I asked a police man but he told me the meeting points and I was still lost. I decided to call Michelene, the Resident Director, on a payphone because I didn't know how to work my cellphone on calling out in Japan. She told me to go to the arrival place on the 1st floor.

3:15pm I find the yellow shirted people on the 1st floor. I recognized the place because that's where I arrived when I came to Japan last Friday. I gave my luggage to the luggage delivery to be sent to my host family house in Ota. I introduced myself and spoke a little Japanese to the CIEE people. I went back to the 4th
My RoomMy RoomMy Room

Marroad International Hotel Narita
floor to eat the cold soba that I like. My dad makes it and I like that soba the best. I talked to Softbank to find out more about the prepaid plan in Japan. It's $200. I already have a cellphone, so I don't need it.

5:00pm I went back to the CIEE yellow shirt meeting place. I introduced myself to some students and we went to Marroad International Hotel Narita bus to go to that hotel. I really like them. Some people I remember are Ryan, Emma, Marissa, Elivia, Jack, Frank, and others. That's when I hear Ate Reci calling me and I missed her call. I couldn't figure out how to call her, so I gave up. I'm going to call her later.

5:45pm I arrived at the hotel and got my Orientation packet from Michelene. She explained that we can look through the papers in our hotel rooms, relax, and go to the mall. Great! I tried calling Ate Reci through the room phone but I couldn't figure that out either. I'll call her later.

6:15pm I rode the Marroad International Hotel Narita Bus to the mall with a bunch of the CIEE students.
The DeskThe DeskThe Desk

Marroad International Hotel Narita


6:35pm I walked around in the food court with Emma. She ordered orange juice at the McDonald's and I ordered a crepe banana ice-cream from Baskin Robbins. Very Japanese! I talked to Frank, Jack, Macy, and Marissa while we ate our orders. They ordered ramen/udon. They're more Japanese than I am. haha!

7:35pm We walk around the mall. Nothing to buy cuz it's expensive. Warabi is a better place to shop. Also, Shimamura is better. I like Donki.

8:00pm We went back on the bus to the hotel.

8:10pm The bus leaves. I'm laughing with a bunch of the students and I called this person, Akachan (baby). Very funny and fun!

8:40pm We arrived at the hotel. I go to the payphone and call Ate Reci and Aimi. We talked for a few minutes. They said that they miss me. I miss them too. I will definitely go back to their place and hang out with them. 😊

10:00pm I meet Christie, my room mate. She's really pretty and nice. She's from Nashville. I remember going there with my family and we went to Memphis to see Elvis's house. I really hope my family
Slippers!Slippers!Slippers!

They provide slippers
comes to Japan and Philippines to travel with me in Asia, just like in Tennessee.

10:30pm Jon and I talk on Skype. I e-mail Aimi, my mom, AJ, and Willie. Now I'm updating. I didn't get to go swimming. Maybe tomorrow? Lots of people forgot their swimming suits. I also got to read the orientation materials.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

BathroomBathroom
Bathroom

Not as big as American hotels.
ToiletToilet
Toilet

It's tech-toilet
Details!Details!
Details!

We finally get the details but no time to read them.
MapMap
Map

I gave my map to Ate Reci and this was included in my packet. I will give this to Ate Reci when I leave Japan.
Yes! Free Tokyo MapYes! Free Tokyo Map
Yes! Free Tokyo Map

Ate Reci showed this to me at her house and I wanted one!! I am loved. I got this in the packet too.
Host FamilyHost Family
Host Family

I took a picture of the picture of my host family. It was in my packet.
Christie's Tiger DollChristie's Tiger Doll
Christie's Tiger Doll

Her boyfriend packed that like the way Jon packed my DVD's. That's extra weight!


18th March 2009

man, people in Japan sound so nice and helpful!! I wish people were that nice and helpful here! then again...if there were people like that here, everyone would probably look at them funny lol
19th March 2009

CREPE BANANA ICE CREAM!!! Oh my gosh that sounds good... You're gonna be living with a young couple, eh~ By the way....I laughed so hard when I read you said photo for train!!!!
19th March 2009

Wrong Vocabulary is Understood
lol, my wrong vocabulary is actually understood because I point a lot.
23rd March 2009

wow. japanese people are really nice! btw i didn't know that you were living with a host family. i assumed it was some kind of school dorm, but that's still pretty cool. living with a japanese family sounds like a very cool experience.
24th March 2009

Why I chose Host Family
I wanted to speak Japanese...not English. I want to learn as fast as I can.

Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb