Warm Buns on Valentine's Day


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Chiba » Narita
February 14th 2009
Published: March 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our flight out of Winnipeg was quite ordinary. Thanks to my Dad, we arrived at YWG only to have to wait in one of the longest lines I have ever seen at the Winnipeg Airport. Over 300 people, waiting to go through security in Winnipeg. It appears that everyone had flights leaving at 8:00. The start of the Friday 13th curse.

With the line seeming to move backwards at times, what better way to pass our time then people watch. And where better than in a stress inducing line up. I love putting a story to everyone I see and we were quickly treated to some pretty "interesting" people.

Airports have several different types of travelers. We quickly were able to point out the seasoned travelers. They always seem so zen like as they never rush to the gate on the 1st or 5th call for boarding and seem to sit back and watch the zoo around them, long accustomed to how things work.

Next, the business travelers,suits, shiny shoes, blackberries and coffees in hand. Trench coats and laptop cases at the ready for their conference or meeting. Most realizing that business travel is not the same as vacation traveling.

Tank topped, board shorted, sandal wearing all inclusive winter get-a-wayers, their fraternal twins wearing O'Neil and carrying snow boards and gather in groups excited for 1 or 2 weeks away in the frosty winter weather.

One Capri wearing lady sticks out in this group. She probably golfs and is either heading to Hawaii or perhaps on a cruise. She proved to be the type that finds fault in everything around her. She complained about everything from overpriced shampoo to how inefficient airport security was on her last trip. Someone gets to sit beside her and it will not be me.
Someone's Friday the 13th will prove to be a cursed day.

We finally make security and upon boarding realize that there are a lot of kids under 5 on the plane. I've always been lucky when flying when it comes to kids. I guess my luck ran out as little Joshua, 2 years old no doubt, decided to spaz out when he decided he didn't want to sit on his mothers lap when the pilot wanted to take off. We all appreciated Alexandria, the full time model/part time flight attendant for supplying apple juice and a muffin to shut Joshie up! The women in the next seat over seemed thrilled to have a flailing toddler next to her. I bet her boyfriend doesn't get any this weekend.

We had breakfast in Vancouver and exchanged about twenty dollars into Yen. The money exchanger laughed at us as he explained that we would only be able to afford a light snack in Japan for twenty dollars. Japan is apparently 15 - 20 years ahead of Canada according to this guy, who incidentally exchanged our money for us last year as well. I think he laughed at us back then too when we got money for our 2 hours in Hong Kong. I think it was about 20 bucks as well.

We also found my uncle who works for Air Canada and chatted with him. We had passed right by him only minutes before and I had not recognized him although Candace suggested it looked like him. Hey, I hadn't seen him in over 4 years. He had a plane coming in so we ended up saying our goodbyes way to soon.

While waiting to board, we met Jesse from Utah. He was heading to Korea for University and was sitting with some girls he had just met that were heading there as well. We spoke about how "Americanized" (his words), Korea is becoming. I wonder if Canadians would say "Westernized" as opposed to "Americanized". I know I do. He surprised me by suggesting that he planned on seeing more of Canada and that he was going to pick up one of the girls he had just met. Pretty interesting Mormon.

The Boeing 777 has the individual pods for its executive class travelers which among other things, massages your back and fully reclines to 180 degrees to mimic your bed. When pricing flights, I found that for a mere 12,000 dollars, one could fly first class round trip. I assumed the seats were partially made from real gold and wanted to confirm this by catching a glimpse of them. When they ticket lady said there was a problem with our boarding passes, I was sure that Orbitz had screwed something up. I was silently cursing Candace's "great" deal she had found online. We were both relieved when they gave us new boarding passes. It was then that my uncle came over and wished us a good trip. He had gotten us upgraded to first class. Air Canada Rocks.

It was rather nice watching people walk by as I sipped on champagne and orange juice and chose my diner from an actual menu. Candace and I could hardly contain ourselves sitting amongst the richer folk. I hope it wasn't too obvious as we checked out the seats and how they recline or the complimentary toiletry bag or...well let's just say it was probably pretty obvious who had never flown in first class before in a 777 before.

The flight seemed to go by very quickly after being served gin and tonic(s), roasted duck, fresh fruit, cheese and crackers, wine, Osso Boco, chocolate explosion cake, Bailey's on the rocks and more wine. Of course, the male steward spent all his time chatting me up. A very nice Greek with the idea that feeding me alcohol was a good idea. I ended up very drunk and needing to take Gravol to keep from getting sick. Damn altitude and booze do not mix. Candace had slept for a good portion of the flight and pretended to not know me for the rest of it. Talk about classless in first class.

Our two hours in Narita, Japan on Valentines day can be summed up as the best Valentines day ever. And "Why" you ask? It wasn't for bunches of flowers or boxes of chocolates, although one store was handing out delicious dark chocolate truffle samples. Nor was it for home made cards or poetry. It wasn't because we were in an exotic and exciting country. It was because of warm buns. One only has to experience them once to understand the intoxicating nature of warm buns.

The money exchanger must have visited Japan and experienced the warm buns. He was right, Japan is years ahead of North America in this department. Nothing says love then a stream of warm water, a refreshing scented breeze, warm buns and flushing sounds!?!

Japan has the most advanced bathrooms in the world. You can find the old style squat toilets but move over Rosie cause you can sit on shitter that has more ram than most laptops. Warm water wets your touchie. Then a warm scented breeze dries you off all whilst the heated seat keeps your buns warm. Happy Valentines Day honey.

We left Japan, wondering if tinkling would ever be the same.

Bangkok



Stepping off the plane, being hit with the wall of heat and humidity, the temperature at 22:30 was 28 degrees, along with the smell of the tropical climate , I was overcome with joy. We were back in Thailand and it felt good.

After last year's fiasco (according to Candace), we had pre-booked a room which included a transfer. Deciding to book close to the airport to ensure at least 6 hrs sleep before jetting to Phuket was a smart move and it comforting to see a sign with my name guiding me to our taxi driver. Candace seemed happy knowing we would not have to search for a room on the Khao San tonight!

Sleep will come quickly as soon as my head hits the pillow!

YMMV
Chocolatemonkee





Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb