Trip to Mount Tambora, a year without summer


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sumbawa
November 3rd 2008
Published: November 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

My trip in Apr-Oct 2008

GO TO LOMBOK TO VISIT MY FAMILY - I went to Medicine Hat College, studied TOURISM for two years and at the end I went to visit my family for six months from April 7th to October 15th, 2008. For two weeks that I had to do my practicum at the Sheraton Senggigi hotel in Lombok, Indonesia, but I did about a month and it was good. Two weeks before I left Lombok, Chantal came alone to visit me and there my niece and I were picking up her at the airport in BALI and we got to stay in Bali for a night, had tour around the next morning and in the afternoon we went to my family in Lombok. Five days before our last trip in Lombok, we went to climb the mount of Tambora in Sumbawa by bus. It was nice, we had lots of memory about our trip in Bali, Lombok, and Sumbawa. COME BACK TO CANADA - For me was the same story when I left Lombok for Canada, some people wanted to go to the airport to drop me in, so I prepared three mini-buses for them some of them were my family in the buses and the other with me and Chantal in the taxi. There we say our last 'GOOD-BYE' to everyone and it was a sad day again.

Additional maps: Untitled

Hiking Volcanos - by Ahmad Muslim & Chantal Hamel
Subject: Trip on Mount Tembora, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Time: Friday, October 10th, 2008
Location: Pancasila village, Mountain Tambora, Sumbawa Island

Selamat pagi/Bonjour/Good morning and welcome to my blog. How is everyone? Here I just posted a trip that Me and Chantal did on Friday, Oct. 10th of 2008. We just came a week from Canada to Lombok on Friday, Oct. 3rd before we went to the mountain Tambora. We had plan to climb the mount when we come to Lombok later, so here we go, we just went there. We knew that the volcano's 1815 eruption of mount Tambora was Indonesia's biggest and one of the world's most destructive in historical times, killing an estimated 50,000-90,000 people, destroying the kingdoms of Tambora and Papegat, and causing crop failures on neighboring Bali and Lambok. Lingering clouds of ash led to global cooling and created "the year without a summer" in many areas throughout the world, including France, Canada, the United States and etc.

We were at the mount for two days - go up and down and a night at post V. After that a few days later, we left Lombok - my family, friends, and neighbour to Canada on the Oct. 15th 2008. Here is what we gained information during the trip from our trekking guide, Aris and porter, Herianto and plus a note about Mount Tambora from Pak Saiful, a park officer at Pancasila village, Sumbawa.

Mount Tembora is a 2851-m high active strato type A volcano, located on the Island Sumbawa in Indonesia (08°15’ latitude, 118°00’ longitude). The hike is not difficult. The place is pristine and beautiful. A succession of forest ecosystems of complexity diminishing with increasing altitude ends with an apparently dry and eroded land ecosystem on the top of Tembora. The forest protects you from the sun. It is a nice and comfortable hike.

Before its eruption, which created a year without summer throughout the globe in 1815, mount Tambora was more than 4000 m high, according to experts. People there believe that half of the mountain was projected in the sea during the eruption, which created the Island Satonda. This island, located at about 1hr from the beach by speed-boat, is a natural reserve and recreation park that should be worth visiting. There is a large salty lake on the Island, which is
My neighbour with BuleMy neighbour with BuleMy neighbour with Bule

My brother, Gazali with red sleeve and sister in law with the baby. Many people at my family's house like to see a tourist like Chantal. 'Bule' is an Indonesian word for 'a tourist's name', so when people say "Disana, ada banyak bule - bule berenang di pantai Senggigi." So that's meant in English say "There are many tourists swimming in Senggigi beach." Chantal is my friend. We live together in Swift Current, Saskatcewan, Canada over six years from now. She was visiting me on Friday, 3rd Oct. 2008 for two weeks and then we went back to Swift Current together. I came to Lombok on Wednesday, 9th of April 2008, not just to visit my family, but I was working at Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort for a training or practicum from my study at Medicine Hat College in Alberta, Canada for a month at the hotel and then I have to come back to Canada on the 15th of Oct.
also a holly place. We were told by local people that one can hang stones in the trees and pray to become rich. There are coral reefs in the sea at this location, as evidenced by a gift that we received from a resident of Pancasila: a piece of ‘sea flower’ (bugna laut in Indonesian language). The place is well worth a week of visit: two or three days on the mountain, one day on Satonda Island, one day on the beach. There is also a coffee factory, still as the Dutch made it back in colonial times, which is to be seen before it closes at 2 pm, and the remnants of an archeological site where a village was destroyed by the 1815 eruption of Tambora.

We were very well hosted at Toko Sidodardi by Ibu Darmo for 60,000 rupiah per day (about $6.00 per day for two). This price included breakfast and dinner, which were plentyfull and delicious. Arrangements can be made at +62 081 917 660 580, by someone who speaks Indonesian. Another place for room and board with very friendly people off main street it at Pak Bambang’s house (+62 081 933 179 571, Indonesian
A MotorcycleA MotorcycleA Motorcycle

We arrived at Mandalika Bus Terminal in Sweta, Lombok. Lombok is a quiet small island in Indonesia and as a transportation wise, it's better to use a motocycle because its size is small as compare to a car's size, so you can go to a small road. The motorcyles are the most popular way of travelling in Lombok.
language). Mr. Bambang, who works for the public transportation, informed us of that the fare from Mataram to Kandindi was fixed by the government and not negociable; we had payed 48% too much on the way to Kandindi. He went to talk to the people at the bus depot and, when we returned, the two best seats - beside the driver - had been reserved for us to compensate for the initial ripe-off.

Itinerary and Logistic Information
• We took the bus from the Bertais bus terminal (close to Mataram, Lombok Island) at 9.30 am to Kadindi, Sumbawa Island. This is a 19-hr bus ride which includes 2 hours on the ferry between Lombok and Sumbawa and a dinner stop in Plampang. The bus ticket is 120,000 rupiah per person, and arrival time is about 5-6 am. There are departures every day, at the same time.
• At the Kandindi bus terminal we looked for ojek (motorcycle-taxi) to take us to Mr. Charles (pronounce ‘Char’-‘less’) house in Pancasila. That was a short ride which cost 15,000 rupiah per person. Mr. Charles found us a guide, a porter, a tent, cooking utensils, and sent someone buy crackers, rice, coffee, sugar,
MotorcycleMotorcycleMotorcycle

Another motorcycles at the Bertais Bus Terminal in Mandalika, Lombok.
noodles and water for a 2-day / four-person trip. Muslim figured that this should cost about 50,000 rupiah; we paid 73,000. The price of the guide was 200,000 rupiah and that of the porter was 175,000, according to Charles, but when we returned, Charles was not home and we were asked that price, but per day. We thought that this price was fair, any way (about $20 and $17 per day), especially that the tent and all the equipment was provided. We were also given breakfast when we arrived.
• At 8.00 am we departed for Mount Tambora Park with ojeks. We payed 50,000 rupiah (total for the four of us) to enter the park.
• We walked 6.5 hours up to post 5 that day. We had about a 1-hr lunch at post 2. At 4 am the next day, we left to the submit after taking a bowl of noodles. We were back to post 5 at 7am. We could have stayed longer on the submit if the weather had been better. We could not see the crater as it was filled with clouds, and as per Harris, our guide, toxic gases are coming out of the volcano.
Mandalika Bus TerminalMandalika Bus TerminalMandalika Bus Terminal

This is a way of buying a bus ticket at the bus terminal in Sweta, Lombok, we bought our bus ticket from 8 bus ticket agents and they were crookers because they sold the bus ticket with high price to us. It should be a fixed cost, which was supposed to be Rp. 120,000 (CAD$13.50)/person/oneway trip to Pancasila village in Sumbawa, but I understood that this was the way people make money back in Lombok, Indonesia. We used Sinar Rejeki, a minibus from the Mandalika Bus Teriminal in Sweta, Lombok to Kadindi village in Sumbawa and then only two of us went to Pancasila village in Sumbawa. We took a motorcycle ride from Kadindi to Pancasila about 15 minutes and the cost was Rp. 15,000 Indonesian Rupiah (Rp.) (CAD$1.50). When you travelling to Lombok or somewhere in Indonesia, except in big cities, it costs you nothing to buy goods, especially when you use with these currencies, such as Canadian, American dollars, British Pound, and Euro.
The best time to hike on Tambora is in August, still dry season.

If you have any question on going to climb Mount Tambora, please call or e-mail me. I'm from Lombok Island, west island of Sumbawa.

Thanks. Have a wonderful day.

Chantal et Muslim


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Sinar Rejeki busSinar Rejeki bus
Sinar Rejeki bus

In this pic: My brothers, Gazali and Takim helped us to purchased the bus ticket because traditionally people sell you the bus tickets with many sellers. Chantal and I were waiting to take off the bus to Pancasila village close by the mount of Tambora in Sumbawa.
Sinar Rejeki busSinar Rejeki bus
Sinar Rejeki bus

Another one.
Busses from Sweta to Kadindi, SumbawaBusses from Sweta to Kadindi, Sumbawa
Busses from Sweta to Kadindi, Sumbawa

We have a few busses that go from Mandalika Bus Terminal in Sweta to Kadindi in Sumbawa and the names are Sinar Rejeki, Sinar Kadindi and Sinar Mulia. They travel only two diffrent times in a day, they travel at 9 a.m. and one at 10 a.m. (Note: they don't travel direct to the destination because they have to drop off or pick up goods or passengers.).
Other bussesOther busses
Other busses

On seen here are different name of busses that service the island of Lombok.
Labuhan LombokLabuhan Lombok
Labuhan Lombok

Labuhan Lombok is located on the east of Lombok, the weather here is much drier than in the south, but west area is more wet and much more wet is around the mount Rinjani, which is a national park in Lombok.
Labuhan LombokLabuhan Lombok
Labuhan Lombok

I was waiting for our bus to leave the seaport and on the background was our ferry to go to Sumbawa island.
Labuhan Lombok Labuhan Lombok
Labuhan Lombok

We just arrived at a harbour in East of Lombok, Labuhan Lombok village.
Sumbawa islandSumbawa island
Sumbawa island

We are approching the island of Sumbawa as you can see on the back of Chantal Hamel.
Our gang during trekking the M. TamboraOur gang during trekking the M. Tambora
Our gang during trekking the M. Tambora

We took picture together in front of the Tambora Trekking Office in Pancasila village in Sumbawa. Our trekking guide, Aris in the second right corner followed by Chantal, me (Muslim) and in front our trekking porter, Herianto on the left with hands up. Chantal and I successed the trekking to mount Tambora, a 2,800m high above the sea level in Sumbawa Island on Saturday, 9th of Oct. 2008 for two days and a night at the mountain.
Continue walking throu the forestContinue walking throu the forest
Continue walking throu the forest

Be careful Chantal with the harmless plant (itchy plant).
Fallen treeFallen tree
Fallen tree

We took pic on fallen tree and the tree was long and we are surrounded by the itchy plants.
Less harmful plant along the forest in M. TamboraLess harmful plant along the forest in M. Tambora
Less harmful plant along the forest in M. Tambora

I suggest that you have to be careful when you walk through the forest in mount Tambora because when you touch the plant on this picture, it makes you itchy for some seconds. Chantal and I also touched them when we walked along the forest. There are lots of them. You will walk sometimes between them, the path that you will walk at is a quiet small. So again, be careful with that plant. Sorry, I don't know the name of this plant.
Post 2Post 2
Post 2

Very tall tree with many living plants around the bark
Post 2Post 2
Post 2

At Post 2, you will find a river that you can wash your dishes or good for drinking water.


18th August 2009

Trekking in Mount Tambora
Hi Chantal and Muslim, I hope you still check this blog. I came across an article about Mount Tambora, and am very interested to come by for a trek. Could you give me more information as to when's the best time to come, how i can get there and how i can arrange for accommodation/ guide and so on? Thank you. Regards, Shyn (Malaysia)
19th October 2009

Take a tour in Lombok
Hi Shyn, Good morning. How are you? Sorry for the waiting in responding your requirement about how to trek the Mount Tambora. Well, I have a friend who works at the travel agency in Lombok and his name is Rahimin. He had experience in taking many tourists around the Lombok island and some I suppose around Sumbawa and also Flores island to see Komodo Dragon (animal wonders in the world). You can contact him to make an arrangement about the hiking mount Tambora at (62) 81805717758 or email at karlin_86@yahoo.com Singapore and Lombok serves an international flight (about 3 hours direct flight) with Silk Air every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. If traveling using public bus then it will take you so long to wait until to get to the destination because everyday the bus leaves at about 10 am. and arrive in Kandindi, Sumbawa about 6 am. too. So if traveling by own car (with the tour guide) it will be shorter the trip. The best time to visit is in May or in August or September because you can feel the air during the hike in mount Tambora not too hot and plus you can see the crater better at the peak. Rainy season is not the best to climb any mountain there because it might be foggy, cloudy, rain, and etc. Wet season: November-April and dry season: May-October. So, hopefully this info is useful for you and I am really sorry because am so late to reply your email. Thanks anyway for your interest to read my blog and good luck Shyn.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb