Medan, Sumatra, Indonesia - 29/12/09


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sumatra » Medan
December 29th 2009
Published: December 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi!

We have been completely out of contact in Bukit Luwang here in Sumatra but we've had an amazing time!

We arrived late on Xmas eve and just got the first room we could. Then on Xmas day we went and found a better place where the toilet didn't stink so much that we couldn't bare it and then had Xmas dinner at a nice place on the river (to be fair most of the town is on the river but it sounds good!).

They asked if I'd be Santa Claus for the children at the local enlish (language) school so I did that yesterday, with Sarah as St Nick's dubiously stereotyped helper 'Black Pit', who appears on most images as a chap reminiscent of the gollywog dolls of old. Regardless it was great fun and we got the chance to do something that felt fairly christmassy!

We also went trekking in the jungle for 2 days and saw a couple of wild orangutans and other animals (thomas leaf monkeys, white handed gibbons, makaks and a snake!) as well as massive ants (about an inch long).

Overall Bukit Luwang was amazing and everyone was very friendly, it felt almost like we said goodbye to the entire town on the way to the bus today.

We're off to Bandung in Java early tomorrow morning (avoiding Jakarta which sounds like a bit of a nightmare) and after a weekish there we fly down to Bali to finish our 30 day Indonesia visa.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, and have a great New Year!!

Tim

Advertisement



13th January 2010

Ha ha
Just read this one and it made me laugh. I hope you have some photographs of you as Santa. It sounds like a lovely place x

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb