Lovin' the Lake Toba


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sumatra » Lake Toba
September 7th 2007
Published: October 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Leavin the dirt behind usLeavin the dirt behind usLeavin the dirt behind us

filthy little market/bus station where we waited for the bus to take us to a little lake paradise.
Lake Toba...How we DO love Lake Toba.
Its been 5 days sice we've arrived and we are damn happy to be here.
The goin' is SLOW, the food is DELISH, the air is COOL and the accommodation is CLEAN.
Life is sweet in Toba.
We don't really want to leave on Sunday like we've decided to do. But if we want to see other things in Sumatra and then Java, unfortunately we must move on.
Though we could do as Martin and Sara, a Swiss couple we met here, and just decide to give up all of our plans and donate our time and money to stay here and help the locals rebuild their hotels and tourist attractions so that the tourists would actually return to visit one fine day.
Or do as Johnny from Berlin does and stay in Toba for two months every year in between living in Thailand and Malaysia.
When we first arrived last Sunday we checked into Carolina's hotel for 2 nights. It was FABULOUS there. A real HOTEL...they know what they are doing.
IT'S SO CLEAN!! We didn't even remember what clean felt like.
Carolinas has a great location for swimming, nice gardens and Batak
thats livin'thats livin'thats livin'

a bunch of happy students travelling the only way that indonesians seem to travel...dangerously...
Architecture.
And the room was only 68,000 rupiah (about $7.50). But we decided to leave to move to a different hotel that was recommended to us (thank you Frantiska!).
Liberta Homestay...wow. It's ALSO lovely here.
We have the whole 2nd floor of a lovely little Batak house. We are only paying 40,000 (about $4.40) with hot water, which is quite the luxury in Indonesia.
Sure, there may be little critters living in the walls who leave little shits scattered about (Guillaume hasn't quite noticed the quantity, otherwise he would have flipped out by now) but its incredibly charming here.
Mr.Moon, the most attentive and very intelligent owner, makes us feel SO at home here.
We have not been doing very much, I might add, and we are very content about that.
That is precisely the reason why we are here and wanted to stay for a whole week.
We have just been eating, chatting, reading & walking around.
Yesterday we took a motorbike to check out a bit of the island. We saw a couple of "tourist attractions" and they were fine, just fine. Though, I have to say that I was more excited by the teeny kitten that I
waitingwaitingwaiting

after the bus dropped us off IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE..IN THE POURING RAIN we had to wait for a while until someone else picked us up
was offered on the street.
It rains a lot here, which is nice because then we don't have to fake an excuse to the other guests or ourselves for not doing anything ("oh ya, we are just staying in today...it IS raining you know!"
Not that we actually care. We can watch movies or lay in bed and not think twice about it.
Guillaume and I are not, by nature, the type of people who MUST get out and about and see every sight there is. We are quite thoroughly content to just bum around.
Unfortunately, from now on we really do have to be on the move if we want to see and do the other places and things that we hope to.
So this has been a great little interlude. The longest we have stayed anywhere in the past 3 months. And a perfect place to stay, also.
We really love it, but...our batteries are recharged now...therefore...we set forth....to West Sumatra.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

lake tobalake toba
lake toba

in all its cloudy glory...you should see it when its sunny....whoa.
spectacularspectacular
spectacular

now thats a peaceful setting.
swim swimswim swim
swim swim

the only place in the lake that isnt overgrown with weeds...makes for goooooood swimmin'
peacepeace
peace

relaxing little afternoon, reading on our balcony and listening to the rain.
Our new homeOur new home
Our new home

for the next five nights...
Batak StyleBatak Style
Batak Style

Those Batak people sure know how to make a funky looking house
yumyum
yum

one of the many delicious meals we ate in lake toba, tempeh/tofu curry.....
babybaby
baby

smallest lizard ever, according to us.
insideinside
inside

the interior of our little house
stone chairsstone chairs
stone chairs

the kings chairs..or something...oh damn...i wasnt paying attention...where's that kitten?!
one tough mothaone tough motha
one tough motha

get out of the way!!!!!!!
writingwriting
writing

this very blog...with a mighty beautiful view
small doorsmall door
small door

yes...indonesians are small...but not small enough to make hobbit sized doors for their houses....whose idea was that?


21st December 2007

I LIKE that hobbit-sized door!
Hey there Jen, How great to see some of your Indonesia adventures! I think I'd like to check out Lake Toba myself one day......

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb