All paths don't lead to Rome


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sulawesi » Bunaken National Park
July 5th 2012
Published: July 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The food at Seabreeze is very predictable. Every morning there are pancakes, cereal, eggs and noodles or rice. Lunch and dinner consist of rice, vegetables, chicken, fish and tofu. Luckily however predictable it is, it is still delicious. They are supposed to be served at set times but we have decided it is not worth getting to the restaurant in any hurry as no one here seems to work to the clock. Everything just happens at the speed it happens. Meals are often held up due to the lack of power. It's hard to rely on the electricity being on at any time.

We dived 2 dives again today. The first was a terrible experience as the current was so strong. We were banging into each other or the reef the whole time. In the end all we could do was laugh, which really messes up your breathing! The dive sites today were Mandolin and Alung Bunoa. We saw a baby shark, more clams and a moray eel.

At lunch we chatted to some fellow divers. One made the comment that he didnt think you could get closer to God than here. Its definitely close to paradise for us. However there is another couple here who have prepaid for an 18 day holiday here. They loved Bali last year and thought Bunaken would be similar. They dont dive and arent keen on Indonesian food. Aside from the diving there really is nothing else here so they are very bored and fed up - they dont feel like they are in paradise. Dont come to Bunaken expecting Bali - there is only one shop you can walk into on the whole island!

After lunch we walked up the beach and snorkelled back. We went to the edge of the reef and saw loads of colourful coral and fish. It was really beautiful and peaceful. There is no noise and you are surrounded by amazing sights.We got back in time for a complimentary taster massage which was very good and we will go back for more.

Feeling relaxed yet energised we set off for our daily walk. We had a map from the Lonely Planet which suggested that there was a path all around the island. We had not gone all the way along the path north , south being to the village, so decided we would give it a try. After 5 kms the light was rapidly fading and we came to a dead end. There was nothing for it but to turn back and head for home the way we had come. We walked about an hour in the dark. The noises in the trees were loud and made Harriet jump several times, especially when a cow decided to block the path completely. The good thing about the dark was we were able to see fireflies, something none of us had ever seen before and the stars were bright in a clear sky.

After a full day we were all ready for an early night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.2223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb