Crazy Kuta


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Sengigi
February 8th 2011
Published: February 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

My trip order is going to be out of sync...sorry bout that, but haven't found much time to document my travels from Phi Phi in Thailand to Kuala Lumpur. And no internet while in Lombok (which was quite refreshing).

After spending two too many days in Kuta Beach it was time to head off to the island of Lombok for some diving. So Option 1 take a 2hr fast boat for $70, Option 2 take a 6hr ferry for somewhere around $40 or Option 3 take 30min flight for $30. Hmmmmm tough decision.... had to check a couple of times to make sure that was correct. Since when is a flight cheaper then a boat ride??? Well in Indonesia it is every day of the week....of course that doesn't guarantee the flight departs and arrives on time though....but then again you get what you pay for:-)

Well the flight took off on time and landed on time in Mataram, a major urban centre in Lombok. Lombok is similar in size to Bali and is also part of Indonesia. Although it is a bit more behind the times, no Circle K, no McDonalds, no Starbucks, no american influences of any kind really. Quite a pleasant island with very nice people, always wondering where you are from and where you are going. At first I was bothersome, because I figured they were trying to work a deal or a play for money, but I quickly realized this wasn't Kuta is was Lombok. Thanks to Eat, Pray, Love, it made sense to me that they ask these questions not to be nosy or to sell you something, but to put order to their world. For some reason if they know where you came from (Canada or Kuta Beach) and know where you are going, they can be happy with their lives as it is in order that makes sense to them. Sastro for example was the most pleasant man I had come across in Indonesia to date. He essentially watches over the Alang Aland Boutique Resort near Senggigi on Lombok. This resort, owned by a rather young german fellow named "Mr. Tomas" was an oasis within an oasis, it was beach front, secluded with no internet, nowhere near the commercial side of Senggigi, just 20 rooms of which only 3 were booked during my stay. But back to Sastro, he has three sons, a wife, four siblings and a father who fell ill during my stay at Alang Alang. He has been watching over the Beach Bar and Restaurant for over 20 years and really seems to love his job, or perhaps more accurately, enjoys the company of those who stay at Alang Alang. He would speak to me in both indonesian and english and i would learn a little here and there. Sastro was also very helpful with setting up my dive trip and a guided tour to the Rinjani Volcano.

Even though it rained every day and was windy, the place was paradise. Day one I set off to Gili Trawangan for two dives. I didn't realize it at the time but I am pretty sure I ended up on the same dive trip with the owner of Blue Marlin Dive shop. A very pleasant english chap who was very helpful from the time i was picked up to when we all were taken back to the mainland. Definately my best set of dives during my vacation. Good visibility, plenty of sea live and lots of variety with a slow by steady current to take us along the sea bottom. White tipped reef sharks, numerous turtles, eels, stingrays, and even a lobster. Good dive service and great prices.

Day two turned into a guided day trip around part of the island to Rinjani Volcano. However, the weather did not cooperate and the visibility was extremely poor so no chance of seeing the Volcano, but I was able to check out an impressive waterfall during a torrential downpour! The drive through all the villages, towns, rice fields was quite the experience, the guide (taxi driver) was very helpful in pointing things out along the way and answering questions during the entire day. As bit of a bonus we stopped up on a mountainside where we were quickly visited by over 15 monkeys. With peanuts in hand (compliments of the guide) I was able to get up close and personal with crazy but friendly monkeys, ok the only crazy monkeys seemed to be the older male ones, who didn't want the females, and babies to have any peanuts....chivalry is dead in the Monkey Forests of Lombok!!!

Final day was half day before flight back to Bali, so just sat out on the patio and grass overlooking the ocean at the resort and took in all the waves crashing onto shore...with book in hand.

Next stop, Ubud, Bali....home of Ketut, medicine man, artist - made famous by the book and movie Eat, Pray, Love....

Gerry

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb