Success: The Rinjani Trek


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Rinjani
June 25th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 1:Goin' up!Day 1:Goin' up!Day 1:Goin' up!

Stopping to catch our breath on the 2000m journey UP!
SO, first I have to apologize for the lack of gusto in this entry, since I'm not quite feeling 100%. I got a bit sick after the trek (dirty mountain food, dodgy trekking guide. I should have heard the alarm bells ringing when we saw a dead bird in the guides restaurant the day before....hmmmm...)
We started the trek, all six of us, Monday morning, from the little town of Senaru. We organized the trip with a man named Harry, that we were told about while we were in the Gili Islands through someone else, through someone else, through someone else (thats how it works in Indonesia).
Our transport from Bangsal to Senaru was included in the price, along with the night before the trek spent at the trek-organizers hotel.
There were the six of us, plus the guide, Dan, and our three porters who carried all of our food and tents and camping gear (they are total machines).
It was a pretty difficult climb, I might mention.
The first day we climbed 2000m in about 6 hours. It was quite rough, but we took alot of breaks for water and food (when we stopped to eat the porters stopped to
Day 1: Keep Going!Day 1: Keep Going!Day 1: Keep Going!

Marc-Antoine and Noemi rockin' Rinjani style
smoke).
When we got to the campsite where we would spend the night (also the edge of the volcano crater) at 4pm, it wasn't quite at the edge, it was still a half hour hike up to the real viewpoint.
Noemi and I decided to call it quits for the day since we would go to the rim the next day anyhow. But Guillaume and Marc-Anotoine went for it.
We ate dinner at about 6pm then at 7...we all went to bed! We were SO tired!
The next morning we woke up at about 5:30, had some breakfast (banana pancakes, of course!), and started our hike up to the rim. It only took half an hour before we had "THE" view...
It was so incredible...breathtaking. a volcano perched inside the most spectacular BLUE crater lake....
we stayed up there for a while, then said goodbye to Vincent and Julie (they were feeling sick and decided to walk back down to Senaru, we would meet them after the trek), then started to walk down to the lake.
The walk down was a bit rough, steep at some points and slippery. After a while Noemi and Marc-Antoine decided to go back to
Day1: Almost thereDay1: Almost thereDay1: Almost there

Seriously close to the rim...but not there yet...
the camp at the top of the rim because they werent feeling too comfortable.
Guillaume and I made it down to the lake and to the hot springs below...it was VERY rewarding...after sweating profusely for six hours the day before and soothing my aching legs!!
We got back up to the camp at about 2pm and then ate a bit..already three of us werent feeling too great, sick in the stomach a bit.
That night guillaume had a fever and when we got up we were feeling pretty bad.
We made the descent back to Senaru, it took about four and a half hours, and when we got off the mountain I was feeling HORRIBLE. I mean really, really sick.
We caught a ride to Senggigi right away with someone we met on the way down the mountain.
His name is Irwin and he is a local who lives in the city next to Senggigi..he was truly the "budget travellers angel" sent down to help us out in a time of need, when we were feeling sick...he gave us the two and a half hour ride for FREE then helped us find our hotel and refused to take a penny
Day1: Pretty Nice CampsiteDay1: Pretty Nice CampsiteDay1: Pretty Nice Campsite

Not a bad place to lay our heads down to rest for the night...
from us when we offered.
Anyways, we are recovering now with the proud fact that we climbed to the rim of rinjani and we are very happy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Day 2: Finally we see the lakeDay 2: Finally we see the lake
Day 2: Finally we see the lake

2600m above sea level...6km across...now thats the crater lake i was hoping to see!
Day 2: Me and the LakeDay 2: Me and the Lake
Day 2: Me and the Lake

Not bad looking....
Day 3: Off the mountainDay 3: Off the mountain
Day 3: Off the mountain

This describes exactly how we felt at the time
Day 3: Traveller's AngelDay 3: Traveller's Angel
Day 3: Traveller's Angel

Irwin to the rescue!! Help whisk those poor backpackers out of Senaru and take them to a nice hotel so they can wash the stink off themselves from the previous 3 days of hiking! yaaayy!!!


1st July 2007

WOW!
Hi Jen (and Guy) - That's some lake! - I guess I owe you some photos too.
1st July 2007

woo hoo!
OMG! What a spectacular view! Way to go guys! You should be proud! Hopefully that will be your only encounter with sickness. love ya both, have fun and be safe!
1st July 2007

wow
way to go !!!! that's quite along journey but well worth it. crater lake looks amazing. (great pics too!) i'm so proud of you guys!!!!!
2nd July 2007

Looks like...
my favourite-people-no-longer-in-Montreal are having a blast in wherever they go, as per usual. Nice pics, team! Oh yeah, don't eat sketchy looking dead birds. There's some life advice from uncle Paul. Oh, and Guillaume, my shoes are holding up great, how are yours? p
30th July 2007

Nice work!
You guys should apply for work as Shirpas! Pictures are beautiful, we should have followed in your footsteps. It would have been better than getting into our motorbike accident north of Senggigi.

Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb