Mystique of Singkawang Chap Go Meh and Tatung Possession


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Kalimantan » Singkawang
March 5th 2015
Published: December 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Singkawang is a small town located in the western part of Kalimantan, Indonesia on the island of Borneo. Its cultural and ethnic diversity make it a truly special place. Every year, the city celebrates Chap Go Meh in a unique way compared to other parts of the region. The Chinese community here lives in harmony with the Malays and the Dayaks, while still strongly practicing their own culture.

Singkawang is also known as the City of a Thousand Temples, and it is home to the iconic Chinese festival of Chap Go Meh. This celebration is unique compared to similar festivals in other cities in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Singapore.

The whole city comes together to celebrate the glorious festival, which is as big an event as Christmas is for Christians or Eid al-Fitr for Muslims. The purpose of the celebration is to expel bad luck and evil spirits from the future.

Chap Go Meh in Singkawang is symbolized by the Tatung performances, which are filled with mysticism and trance. The ceremony is led by a priest who calls upon the spirits of the ancestors to enter the body of the Tatung.

This soul-calling session can be terrifying, even for the most experienced individuals. Those who are possessed will behave strangely, standing on the edge of swords and nails. According to the priest, these spirits are good and are meant to overcome evil, including the spirits of ancient heroes and saints.

Among those exhibiting at this event are individuals who pierce their bodies with swords, bite dogs and chickens, and drink their blood. All of this action is vividly depicted in the pictures accompanying this article.

Despite its unique cultural offerings, this event remains relatively unknown to travelers at the time this article was written. However, in my opinion, this event should be at the top of the list for those who are looking to experience something truly extraordinary. The remote location, less effective publicity and limited accessibility of Singkawang may be the primary reasons why this small town is not as frequently visited by foreign travelers.

I have shared my opinion to improve this situation and how to promote with some of my friends and acquaintances in the Singkawang tourism office, who have graciously invited me to meet their leader, Pak Syehbandar, at his office during my visit. I have been delighted to share some captivating photos of Singkawang that I took during my visit for office use. These images provide a unique insight into the city's culture and beauty.



(Review was made after having visited Singkawang several times since 2009 with friends Shiddley Omar, Enge, Aan, Tanti, Risa, Tya, Maurie and Nessa, I can confidently say that this event is an experience that should not be missed).


Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Pondok Gravitasi Pondok Gravitasi 
Pondok Gravitasi 

Take a break here for Lunch on your journey to Singkawang from Pontianak city. 
Chap Go Meh celebration in Pontianak cityChap Go Meh celebration in Pontianak city
Chap Go Meh celebration in Pontianak city

This massive celebration held in Pontianak city, West Kalimantan, Indonesia. Singkawang town is another 3 hours by car from Pontianak city. 
Stage Cultural Performance by various ethnic groupsStage Cultural Performance by various ethnic groups
Stage Cultural Performance by various ethnic groups

This show was recorded in Pontianak city, a night before Chap Go Meh in Singkawang. 
Entering Singkawang TownEntering Singkawang Town
Entering Singkawang Town

Entering Singkawang town. Modern with Chinese characteristic 
Beaches Nearby SingkawangBeaches Nearby Singkawang
Beaches Nearby Singkawang

Best place to unwind during your stay in Singkawang town. 


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb