Captivating Cliffs and Expansive Shoreline at Parangtritis Beach


Advertisement
Asia
March 30th 2013
Published: September 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Parangtritis wasn't part of my original plan for Yogyakarta, but we decided to drop by on our way back from Surakarta. Although I'm not usually a fan of beaches, Parangtritis was different and I could easily consider it one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever visited.

Located about 37 km south of Yogyakarta in the Bantul Regency, Parangtritis is the most popular tourist beach in the area. On weekends, it's bustling with locals from nearby cities.

There's plenty to do here, from riding small ponies and horse carts to ATV Quad Bike rides, parasailing, swimming in the pool, and simply strolling along the beach while sampling some local food and drinks (fresh coconut for Rp5000 each).

The beach also offers a camping site, a few restaurants serving delicious local cuisine, and a designated bathing area. I was told by the locals that there are a few mystical caves nearby, such as Gua Tapan and Gua Langse, which are worth exploring.

Another mystical spot to visit is Sendang Ngembel, a natural spring water located close to the beach. Unfortunately, there is no public transportation to this place, so you'll need to drive your own vehicle.

When it's time to leave, one of the best routes is from Parangtritis through Siluk - Imogiri to Yogyakarta. This route offers stunning views of rivers and coral reef hills.

Our driver also warned us that visitors to Parangtritis beach should avoid wearing green shirts, as it is said to offend the local spirit, Ratu Kidul, who may try to lure you into the ocean to drown.

If you're ever in Yogyakarta or Solo, take some time to visit Parangtritis. You won't be disappointed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb