thurs day 55


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Yogyakarta
March 15th 2015
Published: March 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Had a relaxed start to my first day bumping into Rebecca at reception asking for directions to certain attractions - I asked her if she wanted to go exploring together - which she did, so off we went. From Catalonia Rebecca has been in travelling for 6 months and soon to be going home. Her first stop being Australia to learn English then a bit of south east Asia on her return. Our first stop was to a pharmacy and after not getting what I wanted - but it had to do! We headed in the direction of the sultans palace. With every 10th Step a local asking us if we want a taxi, a rickshaw or just generally asking a million questions - where are you going? What are you doing? Where are you from? Etc etc! Sometimes it can actually be very helpful and flattering and other times very annoying. So, after stopping to talk to one man he said he would show us to the palace - a 10 minute walk away, instead he showed us to a tradional Javanese art house. After having a 15 minute talk about the traditions of the art - its hot wax which after being fed through a bamboo and copper pen is drawn onto white cotton which is then dyed to form the pattern. It was really interesting and the art very good - we were very pleased to have been shown around. Heading off from here towards an area referred to as the Kraton - a smallish area which has the sultans palace in the centre and chatting to another man, who it turned out lives in the Kraton - we walked with him for a few minutes where he showed us the palace ( but too late in the day for it to be open) so took us to a cafe instead. Stopping for a drink and chatting to the very friendly owner - who happens to have a Spanish girlfriend we were then shown to a studio 3 doors away. Inside the studio were artists carving out tradional Javanese puppets out of buffalo hide. Again very interesting to watch and after having a fascinating talk from the really friendly guide we both brought a puppet for 150,000 rupiah each - £7.50! Well worth the money. Popping again to the cafe and meeting the owners wife - who also teaches English at a college we spent the evening chatting and relaxing. The heavens had opened again so after borrowing a poncho each they gave us a lift back on the backs of their motorbikes to the hotel. We said our goodbyes and settled down for the night after having a lovely day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb