Uncovering the Mystical Blue Flames of Mount Ijen in Surabaya


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java
April 3rd 2013
Published: September 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Kawah Ijen in Banyuwangi, Indonesia

Gunung Ijen accessible from Surabaya, by road to Probolingo and heading towards Bondowoso. Gunung Ijen is actually nearby and just by the west of Bali Island.

It was my toughest trail of 2013, and a trip to Kawah Ijen Volcano Mountain was only decided at the last minute. But I have no regrets; the journey was an excellent experience and a great source of knowledge.

Kawah Ijen stands at 2,799 meters above sea level and is one of 130 active volcanoes across Indonesia. Located on the eastern tip of Java Island, the closest city to the mountain is Surabaya.

We had a long ride on a van from Yogyakarta to Surabaya before continuing another van journey to Banyuwangi in order to reach this place. After spending a night nearby the mountain, we started our trekking journey in total darkness from Paltuding, the base camp.

It took almost 3 hours to trek to the crater, and we were unable to see the surrounding until the daytime. The only reason to be there before the sunrise was to witness the mesmerizing blue sulfur flames from the inside of the crater.

The smell of burning eggs was strong once we reached the crater! Kawah Ijen crater lake has the world’s largest acid lake, which is 1km wide. According to the ‘Keeper of the Key’ to Mount Ijen, the last eruption was in 1999.

As the darkness still lingered, we were able to witness people carrying a heavy load of sulfur (around 80kg) in two baskets on their shoulders. They took it from the crater lake up to the crater’s lip, then back down trekking to the base camp, to be loaded onto trucks. It was an incredible sight to behold!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Miners Taking Sulfur To The Nearby RefineryMiners Taking Sulfur To The Nearby Refinery
Miners Taking Sulfur To The Nearby Refinery

Carrying a very heavy loads on their shoulder for living.
The Crater Lake Nearly The SunriseThe Crater Lake Nearly The Sunrise
The Crater Lake Nearly The Sunrise

It was an extraordinary experience to watch the blue flames and the smoke with a sky full of sparkling stars above you.
Sulfur DepositsSulfur Deposits
Sulfur Deposits

The gasses inside the volcano are channeled through pipes. It then produces sulfur deposits that to be collected by the miners.
Covering For GasCovering For Gas
Covering For Gas

You will be coughing and anxious to find cover.
The Sulfur MinerThe Sulfur Miner
The Sulfur Miner

Tough Hike Up To The Crater Lips
Trail Leading To The CraterTrail Leading To The Crater
Trail Leading To The Crater

You Won't Realised This Beautiful Trail Until The Sunrise
Mount Ijen From FarMount Ijen From Far
Mount Ijen From Far

A Beautiful Scenery On The Way Down


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb