Habi Wedding Procession


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Flores » Maumere
December 4th 2009
Published: December 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wedding Dance ProcessionWedding Dance ProcessionWedding Dance Procession

Wedding day procession in Sikka regency is exclusive. Not for elopement.
Wedding dance on the road is spectaculer tradition in Habi where bride and groom go on procession on the road accompany with their family and relatives. The day is the dream of bride and groom even the people in Habi. The people will dance along the road. They cannot be in hurry because their relatives will stop them, to shake hands and to give congratulation. Even, the snack. The procession begin from the church to groom’s home first. After the reception in the afternoon, they move to bride’s home for wedding party there at night. they have to go on procession again. No wonder, they look tired in the afternoon. But, the process has to go on.

It is not easy going to be bride and groom with wedding dance. It is a long time. First, a man have to do marriage proposal to a woman he loves. The materials to complete the proposals are a backet of tobbaco, betel vine, areca nut, and money, about Rp.1000.000,- All materials are taken by delegation.

At least six months later, the delegation of the man makes an agreement about the dowry. The dowry consists of a number of horses, plenty of
Cutting Banna Tree DanceCutting Banna Tree DanceCutting Banna Tree Dance

The wedding day is finished by cutting banana tree in the evening. The ceremony symbolizes a bride has been a wife of the man. In the ceremony, crowded will shout with yelling.
money, and ivory. If they deal, the dowry will be brought by the relatives to the woman. In this moment, a man looks like to be tested. He and his woman do elopement because he and his family are unable to complete at least a half of the dowry or to be a groom because he and his family are still able to complete at least a half of the dowry. Imagine, totally the dowry usually include 30 horses, Rp.30.000.000 and 2 ivories. Another factor is how polite and how smart delegation of the man to request the marriage of man and the woman to woman’s delegation. If this moment is passed, the delegations will make a deal, when the man and the woman’s wedding day is.

Last question, Why is the dowry look like expensive? A marriage in Sikkaness’ point of view is not only the unity between man and woman but also their family and relatives. The expensive dowry makes man and woman can be participated in their families and relatives’ need. If it is not expensive then the man, his family and relatives can pay the dowry, the man and the woman appear free to partcipate
An Old Woman An Old Woman An Old Woman

Wedding procession is dream day. It is not fot bride and groom but also for people. They are enthusiatic want to dance on the road when bamboo flute orchestra is played. This old woman with ivory bracellets on her wrist are dancing also. This old woman is the image of Sikanness old woman whom usually you meet in villages of Sikka generally.
or not to participate in the need. They have no debt in the dowry. The woman who has been a wife of the man has to follow what the man’s last decision. The system of marriage of Sikkaness is patrilineal system.

Any question?




Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb