Kelimutu - Bajawa


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Flores » Bajawa
November 19th 2007
Published: March 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

KelimutuKelimutuKelimutu

the dark green lake

Kelimutu to Bajawa...



Rose early this morning, wasn't too awkward with Patrick...if anything he was being overly nice..I should think so too!

Anyway we went to Kelimutu this morning, its a volcano that has 3 different coloured lakes, which change colour. I got some good pictures of the lakes, one is dark green, one is chocolate brown and the other is blue-green, kind of reminded me of toothpaste. They don't really look like lakes, almost looks like someone has painted them!

Patrick told me a story about a guy who threw himself into the chocloate lake a few years ago. The police tried to get the body out, but before they could, it sank! ugh! And another time a Dutch couple were on their honeymoon, they got up there before sunrise and the guy told his wife he was going for a piss....AND NEVER CAME BACK! They searched for him for 3 weeks!! here is 2 theories, 1. That he fell into one of the lakes and sank straight away or 2. He just did one!...I dread to think how many other skeletons are in the bottom of these lakes.

Now off to Bajawa, only 5 hours
KelimutuKelimutuKelimutu

if you take a glass and put some of this water into it...its clear!
on the bike up and down mountains...not sure my bum is ever going to be the same again!. We stopped a few times though, once at Blue Stone Beach...which is as it sounds full of blue stones. Really pretty but they export them so if you want to see it I suggest you get there in the next 2 years before there are none left. Turns out they get shipped to China and Hong Kong, the Chinese really will buy anything!

Great scenery all the way to Bajawa, Flores is a really beauitful island!

Found out today from Patrick about the driving tests. For a bike test you have to identify some road signs and then you have to drive in and out of these big sticks they stick in the ground - if you don't hit them you pass! For a car they just stick a few more bigger sticks in the ground and again you have to drive in and out of them without hitting them...cracked up or what!

Anyway reached Bajawa at last - my room is the pits!!...Its called "Horse Shit". Its actually called "Angrek" which means "Orchid"...only I thought Patrick said "Horse Shit"....Much more apt I think!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

KelimutuKelimutu
Kelimutu

this really did look like melted chocolate...maybe thats why people keep throwing themself in!
Blue Stone BeachBlue Stone Beach
Blue Stone Beach

see the stones really are blue!
Bathroom at HorseshitBathroom at Horseshit
Bathroom at Horseshit

this is apparently a bathroom...it was a hovel..
Bedroom at HoreshitBedroom at Horeshit
Bedroom at Horeshit

my bedroom / prison room...


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb