little piece of paradise - Gili Trawangan island


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bangka Belitung Islands
October 31st 2011
Published: October 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

For my last week in Bali, i left Ubud and the mainland and took a speedboat off to the Gili islands. The trip from Legian took under 2 hrs by road to Padangbai and then from their 1h30 to reach the Gili islands. I got off at the largest one, Trawangan. This looked liked paradise. Largest of the 3 islands in the Gili's but small enough to find peace and quiet, your own spot on the beach, your own lagoon to dip into every day and just enough choice of places to eat at night or to enjoy a sundowner over a beautiful sunset. Would've been rude not to hey!!!
The journey over to the islands was quick and easy, and understood only once we were on the boat why it was a closed in speedboat, unlike those i have been used to in the past. Because, there are big waves between mainland Bali and the smaller islands which are just off the island of Lombok. On the way we saw a few dolphins which just swan by and said hello!
Once offloaded on to the beach at Trawangan, i head off down the main street to the right up towards the north of the island. Plenty of guesthouses or warangs as they like to call them to choose from. I found one very quickly for my budget and it became my last little home for my days in Indonesia.
The island was far less crazy than i was expecting, and this particularly suited my mood at the time as was not there to be partying or having late nights. A good mixture of people, couples, families and backpacker types on the island.
A perfect place to chill if you ask me as it was small enough to walk around all the way by the beach in 1h30 (did it a couple of early mornings) and otherwise plenty of colourful fish along the coral reefs, which i must say were quite spoilt, but really all you needed was to hire a snorkel and swim out a 100m offshore and there you were in the live aquarium. Plenty to keep you entertained for a while.
Along the beaches you had the choice of plenty of hang out beach places to eat or simply have a nice fresh juice and lay and ponder while looking over towards the other smaller islands of meno or air.
I was here 5 days in total and was not bored i must say, i could've stayed another day or too, even if just for relaxing sunbathing or chilling out over a lazy day, but as Perth was my next destination, i was ready, packed and on my way back to Kuta to spend the last night before flying on to Australia! Goodbye Bali!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb