Elephant Sanctuary and Bali!


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
September 1st 2010
Published: September 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

So since I last wrote we had a day at the elephant sanctuary which was awesome fun!
We were picked up around 9.30 by our driver and guide for the day, Rajah. He was a Sri-Lankan, Malaysian who was very brash, loud and arrogant and didn't leave us with the greatest first impression!!! We set off for the long 2 and a half hour journey to the elephant sanctuary...as the journey went on, although Rajah remained brash and loud he began to grow on us as his knowledge of Malaysia was extensive and any question you had about anything he had an answer to! He stopped a few times to show us some of the main exports of Malysia including rubber tree's and cocoa! We also had an early lunch at a small town which consisted of a local curry which was tasty! He then took us to a fruit plantation owned by a lovely family and let the mum of the house show us around...she spoke a fair bit of english and showed us around the plantation pointing out different fruits from mango steens to lychees and cats eyes while one of her children climbed said tree and loaded us with fruit in a bag! Her children were really cute and Yas couldn't resist getting a picture with them!

Around 10 minutes later we arrived at the elephant sanctuary and were taken to an auditorium where we were shown a video as to why the elephants were captured (usually becasue the wild elephants were destroying oil tree plantations) and how which was interesting. We then put on our swimming stuff and went out to the sanctuary...instantly we saw 12 or so elephants, all of different sizes bounding past us with their trainers alongside or on their backs for their afternoon bath in the river! They seemed to love it as they were sprayed and scrubbed! After watching me and Yas went and played with some baby elephants (see my facebook profile) who were adorable! Once washed we were given a huge crate of fruit and vegetables in which to feed one of the elephants which was really fun. It either took it with its trunk or opened up its huge mouth for you! Afterwards we had a small elephant ride around the yard and then the best bit! From a platform we got on the elephants back in the river and after a few paces it slumped into the water and threw us into the water, we then swam over and washed it! Was so much fun and yet another once in a lifetime experience to be in a river scrubbing down a baby elephant whilst its trunk investigated us! After around ten minutes of bathing we dried off and got back in the car for the journey home.
Rajah took us for a second lunch at a chinese place where we had fried rice and noodles and had a very interesting chat about the legal system in Malaysia where corporal and capital punishment still applies! We then took the hour and a half journey home and arrived back at the hotel at around 6. In the evening we went back to the golden triangle so Yasmin could buy some apple gear for her new laptop and had a drink wholst watching Arsenal v Blackburn! On way back to the hotel we had Mohito's whilst simultaneuously watching tottenham v wigan and chelsea v stoke!

Sunday morning we wandered into the golden triangle for a big breakfast before wandering around the shopping mall for one last time. We caught our flight to Bali at 3 and arrived, after a lengthy customs check to our driver at around 8. Our hotel is lovely, family owned with great rooms and swiming pool. Although it doesn't have its own restaurant you are able to order food from other restaurants and they plate up for you as we did on Sunday! After a lie in on Monday morning we had an amazing breakfast which is included at our hotel, we both had pancakes! We then went to Greger beach which is around a ten minute journey. The beach was a halfway house between the malaysian islands and spain with beautiful warm water and white sands but also nice sun beds and beach bars! We left the beach around 4 and went back to the room and showered before a taxi journey to Kuta, Bali's main tourist area and surf zone! We walked miles along the beach as the sun set and got a local beer, Bintang from a beach seller while watching some surfers which was cool! We got food at a great restaurant overlooking the ocean before a walk down the touristy strip of Kuta stopping at a market along the way before a taxi back to our hotel!

Yesterday, a driver took us to Ubud, Bali's historical town which has now become a bit of a backpackers haunt! On the way we stopped at a silver jewellers where we saw how silver from borneo was taken from a raw material and made into an actual piece of jewellery. We also stopped at an art shop which i love and saw artists doing their thing! Although tempted I refrained from buying anything! In Ubud we had around 2 hours to wander the streets and stop at the seemingly thousands of shops! Yas and I both bought huge, beautiful, hand painted canvas's for $25 each...my room is going to look like a gallery next year! We left at half 1 and went north to Batur mountain passing rice fields and incredible carvings (Bali is known for its crafts hence all the jewellry, art, carvings and huge ornate kites!). The mountain was awesome with a view over a lake and one of Bali's active Volcano's which last erupted in 1997...we had lunch at a balcony overlooking the view and after an hour and a few pictures we left! On the way back we stopped at a fruit/spice/coffee plantation and were able to see how the coffee was made and even try some. There was also a coffee named Luka coffee where coffee was made from the excriment of Luka (a small cat) which was fed coffee the previous day....apparently a delicasy! We also stopped at some beautiful rice fields built into a valley in layers and were able to take some pictures! Once back we were really tired so had a quick swim and ordered in a pizza and watched a DVD!

Just had breakfast before we go to a surf beach to watch some pro's as we intend to try a bit of surfing before we leave! Lots of love, see u all soon xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb