Finding My Spiritual Heartbeart in Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
April 23rd 2014
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Early Morning Volcano BeautyEarly Morning Volcano BeautyEarly Morning Volcano Beauty

Breathtaking moment.
As I pointed out in my first Ubud entry, the theme for our 2014 adventure was "Slow Down, You Move Too Fast", and although we covered a lot of new territory throughout Asia and Indonesia on this trip - Myanmar, Kuala Lumpur, Borneo, Lombok, and the Komodo Islands - we have indeed slowed down this past month. Soon after arriving in Ubud, Bali, we rented the studio apartment, as well as two motor scooters, so that we could get to our daily yoga classes. The Yoga Shala ( "Shala" is Sanskrit for "School") is located in a village 30 minutes outside of Ubud, and our two hour classes begin at 8:00 a.m., six days a week. About the same time, I committed to fifteen hours of individual instruction in Indonesian Language study, and have now completed Level One of the course. As such, the erratic schedule we had been following for the first three months of this trip quickly came to a halt once we settled in here, as we have begun every day with a 5:30 wake up call, and are on the road by 7:00 a.m.

Being on the road has meant being immediately immersed in Balinese lifestyle.
Mountains, Rice Fields & Everywhere, TemplesMountains, Rice Fields & Everywhere, TemplesMountains, Rice Fields & Everywhere, Temples

The Indonesian people seemingly never stop thanking the Gods for the beautiful land they live in. At least, so it seems to this touristo, who has noted that there are temples in every field, and every household, and of course, daily offerings everywhere, in city and countryside.
From the second the tires hit the pavement, we are a part of the river of activity, as we blend in with the multitudes of Balinese on their way to start their day, most passing us on their scooters as well. We drive alongside parents taking their kids to school, or to babysitters on their way to work. We pass right through the Ubud market shortly after seven a.m., where all activity is already in full swing. Then we hit the highway and travel with commuters in both directions, passing through numerous villages, rice paddies and coconut groves, viewing as well the volcanoes and mountains of Bali in the distance.

But our departure from Asia, and specifically from Ubud, Bali, is now drawing very near. Every day as been a challenge to soak up as much of the rich culture, astonishingly beautiful landscape, and equally beautiful energy that the Balinese people so readily share. I think this is what it means to be totally in the moment, and enjoying each moment to the fullest.

One morning this week, during our daily 30 minute motorbike ride to the Shala, I actually got all choked up. But it was not
Our Daily RoadOur Daily RoadOur Daily Road

Sometimes, when we mentioned that we drove a half hour in the country to get to our classes, people would respond as if that was a negative. WRONG. Not when the journey is OMG beautiful.
from sadness that we are soon to be leaving all of this behind, as we have already committed to returning next year. Rather, it was from being overwhelmed with how much I love everything about being here, and from being filled with so much appreciation for it all that I physically could not hold it all in.

The appreciation, though, is for much more than simply the physical beauty of this tropical paradise, which is in abundance. It is a combination of so many little things that we have experienced during our month of living here. For me, those little things would have to include the chickens and ducks that we hear constantly cackling, but that also run across the road in front of us at least once a day as we are biking to class - I can never let this go without breaking out in laughter - as well as the demented rooster badly in need of singing lessons who has woken us up every single morning by 4 o'clock. Add as well the Balinese dogs who make a point of sleeping in the middle of the roads, just like everyone makes a point of casually going
Rice Paddy WorkerRice Paddy WorkerRice Paddy Worker

This man, and many others like him, was hard at work every day well before we passed by sometime shortly after 7 a.m. The day begins early here. Our bikes were always the last in the parking lot every morning; everyone else had already left.
around them. The little things would also have to include the vision of a young Balinese family coming toward you on one motor scooter, the four year old standing up in front, holding the handle bars as the breeze blows through his or her hair, Mom or Dad driving, with maybe another younger child on the seat in front of the driver, and yet another child hanging on to Mom or Dad, seated behind. One other of those little things would have to be the worker in the rice paddy, who you know speaks no English, but who stops his work long enough to throw you a smile as you pass by. Add him to the list of villagers who do the same as you pass through their villages every day. Add as well the countless people on their scooters who patiently wait, then smile, as yet another "westerner" makes a zillion mistakes learning how to drive in their country. Also add to the list of little things all those people who have eagerly and patiently helped me daily as I have practised speaking this new language, including the two English language classes of delightful Indonesian teenagers and their teacher,
Ducks Along the RoadDucks Along the RoadDucks Along the Road

Roadside entertainment.
who helped me practice my new language skills when I taught them a couple of songs as a guest in their classes. Put all of these little things together, then add to them the enriching experience of studying Yoga at an excellent Yoga Shala with Prem and Radha, the two wise, kind, and very skilled teachers that I have been waiting to find my entire life. I think this is what it means to have a full heart.

A very dear friend of mine said to me recently that I have found my spiritual heartbeat in Bali. I cannot think of a more beautiful way to put it. Thank you for your eloquence, Marsha. I believe it is safe to say my lifelong partner, adventurer, and soulmate Stan, feels the same.

Asia keeps calling us back, and at this moment in time, Bali has the strongest voice. We shall be returning in 2015, if the fates, the stars, and the gods will it to be.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

More Breathtaking MomentsMore Breathtaking Moments
More Breathtaking Moments

This magnificent display of terraced rice paddies and coconut palms with the volcano in the background presented itself to us right after we crested a hill and came around a corner, so it was always a bit of a surprise, and never failed to make your heart skip a beat, or your jaw drop, or whatever similar cliche you want to use to try to describe such indescribable beauty. Words really are inadequate.
Don't Bother Me, I'm Taking a NapDon't Bother Me, I'm Taking a Nap
Don't Bother Me, I'm Taking a Nap

Yes, this is a normal sight. Dog in middle of road. Busy road, busy time of day. Same same. Leave me alone, I am sleeping. And everyone does just work around them. Sadly, this would not happen back home. I've yet to hear the term "road kill" here.
Skilled RiderSkilled Rider
Skilled Rider

No idea how he does it, but this is not an uncommon site.
Balinese Village Balinese Village
Balinese Village

The brick walls you see along the road are the enclosures for the family compounds, and each has a family temple.
Early Morning in the VillageEarly Morning in the Village
Early Morning in the Village

Note the dog on one side of the entrance, and the woman on the other. Each is saying hello to the day. Note also the many family compound temples.
Picking the Kids Up From SchoolPicking the Kids Up From School
Picking the Kids Up From School

Slightly different connotation in Bali, where the scooter is the family vehicle, and the average speed is forty kilometres per hour. This, also, would never happen in Canada. This common sight never ceased to elicit a warm smile.
Fill it up, PleaseFill it up, Please
Fill it up, Please

Actually, that would be "Satu basar, tolong / One big, please. Berapa harganya? / How much?" And just for the record, we were not supporting child labor. We would get our gas on our way home from the Shala , when school was already out. School begins at 7 a.m., after all.
Morning Market Traffic JamMorning Market Traffic Jam
Morning Market Traffic Jam

This was the daily traffic jam in downtown Ubud. As you can see, life was already in full swing by the time we arrived, just after 7. This went on for maybe six blocks, and about the same number of minutes, and then we were out of town and riding the country roads. But this traffic density was pretty much the norm in town all day long. Top speed for us - 40 km. Average speed, maybe 35 km. This would be the main reason we road these bikes for a month in the crazy Balinese traffic where the only rule is that there are no rules, only instinct, and we are still in intact and around to share our stories.
Homework in My Indonesian Language ClassHomework in My Indonesian Language Class
Homework in My Indonesian Language Class

I had never had private language classes before, but it was a good experience, because you could go at your own pace, and mine was wicked, as I wanted to complete Level One, and had about three weeks to get it done. That meant at least two hours out of class for every session we met, or over thirty five hours invested. First time ever I have had the opportunity to practise a new language on the streets, while being introduced to it. I had so much fun, and have learned so much. I can actually carry on basic conversations. Can't wait to continue the practice next year. Who would have ever thought Indo might become my third language? Another of life's delightful surprises.
Indonesian Teens are AwesomeIndonesian Teens are Awesome
Indonesian Teens are Awesome

This is not to say I did not love my Canadian teens when I taught them, but these students were so sweet. This was the first of two evenings I spent with two different classes. I shared some English instruction with some music, and they were eager to help me practice my very rudimentary Indonesian conversational skills.
Indo Teen Girl Power!Indo Teen Girl Power!
Indo Teen Girl Power!

I worked with their awesome teacher, pictured in front, to put together a lesson, that being to teach the students two songs that we could sing together. Their teacher provided them with the lyrics for each song, then she translated the lines section by section as I slowly sang the song to introduce the melody. We followed this procedure for both songs, and within a half hour they were singing, and understanding, each song. It was magical. I guess the teacher in me is still alive, and for sure that part of me that always loved my students still is. What a lovely experience it was to spend some time with kids again.


25th April 2014

I am glad you decided to come back in 2015, since Bali is definitely my place for sometime next year. Only I would bring my road bike and would cycle instead of using motor powered transport. Looking forward to meeting you

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb