Ubud Temple Tour


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
April 9th 2005
Published: April 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

TampaksiringTampaksiringTampaksiring

Bathing at The Holy Spring Temple
Dave and I teamed up with a really amazing couple we met at our Ubud Homestay and hired a "Transport, Transport!" for an all day tour of five major temples. Nancy and Joseph are travelling pros who sold their homes in Hawaii and are on a PERMANENT vacation. For the past two years they have been circumnavigating the globe with no plan to stop. They showed us the ropes by driving a hard bargain with our driver and insisting on "no tricks or arguments" Indonesian drivers love to veer off schedule and take tourists to shops etc. where they will receive a commission for any purchases. They also tend to 'forget' the negotiated price and ask for more money at the end of a trip... Dave and I learned this earlier....THE HARD WAY!

Although rainy, the day was a huge success because we ended up in the privileged position of observing the Balinese celebrate the Lunar New Moon. Many of the temples were intricately decorated (for which Balinese women spend countless hours preparing) and at one we observed a Hindu procession where the men marched in full regalia carrying a large representation (an elaborate costume that takes 4 men to operate) of the "Barong". This mythical creature is believed to have magical powers and represents the good in life. After the procession, the men and women headed for the stone carved baths (dating back hundreds of years) to cleanse themselves. Both Dave and I were amazed that we were allowed to observe this ceremony. So often religious areas are relegated to museums/ tourist attractions but are rarely functional. Bali is unique because the population is so spiritually active and the ancient temples are central to their religious practices.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0943s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb