Monkey business


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
September 14th 2010
Published: November 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Ubud monkey jump 6 secs
We arrived in Ubud after an uneventful flight, but had a nutcase taxi driver that made his own traffic lanes, used side walks and ignored traffic lights. Still we made it in the end, grateful to be in one piece.
Without anywhere booked Carla set off to find our new home and found a corker, a big room in a hotel with a pool. After days at sea and on the road, almost all of our clothes were very dirty, to save money Jim set up his own washing shop and after nearly four hours everything was pretty much only half clean, oh well he tried.
Ubud is full of culture and art, there are very high quality sculptures and paintings in every shop, which are more like galleries when we browsed through them.

Ubud has a fantastic Monkey Sanctuary with hundreds of monkeys living and causing trouble in temples within a jungle canopy. The simian hooligans run the joint, they terrorise tourists foolish enough to bring in bananas for them (we witnessed a women being climbed over and having her hair pulled!), splash and jump about in the pool, fight over food or lounge about having a good groom. We loved them and could've watched them all day.

Whilst in Ubud we decided to go on our own trek in the surrounding area, funny how things never seem that far on a map. Our walk was an exhausting 5-6 hours in the sun along busy roads, which fortunately did have lots of sculpture shops to take a breather in. We also saw some of the biggest spiders in our lives!
We stopped in at random temples on route, the best being Goa Gajah (Elephant Temple), within it walls were small temples, a cave, rice fields, lots of steps and rubbish signposts (we managed to get lost and ended up outside of the area somehow).
At the very end of the walk the roads became quieter and went through jungle and rice fields, which was the highlight of the day.

After a final couple of days chilling in Ubud's very mellow bars we took our flight back to Singapore. Indonesia down, the loop around Southeast Asia's was next...

Love, a very exhausted Jim and Carla.
xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Jim and his new bagJim and his new bag
Jim and his new bag

Happy little camper!
Offering to the GodsOffering to the Gods
Offering to the Gods

With a Jammy Dodger! and a fag.
Using tools!Using tools!
Using tools!

Monkey using a stone to break a nut. Impressive.
Carving on the streetCarving on the street
Carving on the street

There are loads of shops with huge all manner of statues.
Random statueRandom statue
Random statue

On route of our trek


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb