Day 5 - 1st real blog


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
February 7th 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Now the hectic lead up to our trip is past we have had time to reflect on that time. More than ever now we can see how much we relied on the support of our families and friends. So we must shout out a big thank you to our parents in particular. To Faye & Russell for allowing us to have our 'Bon Voyage' gathering at their house, to Pat & John for letting us stay with them in the last week before we left and for all of them for the amazing help in getting our apartment ready for renting out. Their support continues in many ways and our appreciation does also. Also a huge thanks to Deb and Steve and to Bronwyn for all jumping to our rescue when we were in rather a jam! Generally, much love & thanks to all who have supported us in so many ways.

And now here we are - sweating our buns off in Ubud, Bali. Sleep & relaxation was high on the agenda for Bali and so far, so good! Lots of swimming, some reading, sleeping (including mid day nana naps) and a somewhat brutal massage have consumed some of
Pool areaPool areaPool area

Quite a lot of time spent here!
our quieter moments.

We have also gotten out a little bit. A visit to the 'Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary' was lots of fun. Thought the cheeky monkeys were better behaved than some of the tourists (Australians!). The Sanctuary in right next door to our hotel and they are not too shy about popping in for a visit. Particularly at breakfast time when there is fruit and bread rolls to be stolen! In fact the wild life encounters around the hotel have been numerous... monkeys, squirrels, geckos, dragon flies... and it's a great experience to be in the pool at dusk watching the bats fly down to skim along the surface of the water for a drink!

Lee's cousin Toby lives here in Bali with his family and we had dinner with him and his beautiful wife and daughter a couple of nights ago at an authentic Balinese New York ribs joint! Go figure! It was really lovely to reconnect with some of our family that we would like to see more often. They also recommended another restaurant called the Dirty Duck. This is a sprawling open air restaurant set among rice patties. What a fantastic evening enjoying great
Breakfast thiefBreakfast thiefBreakfast thief

Cheeky monkey indeed! This was after the staff had chased him away from the fruit table with a broom stick. He jumped onto the roof and reappeared on the other side of the room to steal bread rolls!
food and a lightning and thunder show like we haven't seen in SA in years. Not to mention the rain! It was constant from early afternoon to late in the night. If only we could send some back home.

Yesterday Toby and Inda arranged for us to visit the Bali Elephant Camp. We spent an hour tromping though the local forest and village on the back of a 'Jungle Taxi' called Cindi Crawford! An 18 year old elephant with the temperament and appetite of any other teenager.

Today we are heading of to our next location in Bali, Sanur Beach. More relaxing is on the menu in preparation for more active days ahead when we head into China and beyond.

We have attached some new photos, please have a look and if you want to be alerted to our new blog entries please click the subscribe button on this page and provide your email address.

Much love,

K&L


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



10th February 2008

Lee's Outfit!!
Nice outfit Lee - LOOK OUT Jungle Jim - someone's after your gig!!!!
10th February 2008

I looked great!
I just wish I had a pith helmet!
10th February 2008

Jambo bwana!
So you're having a great time in Bali - as if. It's particularly nice to hear Lady Bwana found the energy to do some climbing on her Jungle Jim. Sounds like the meal with Toby's family was indeed spectacular and huge portion sizes; particularly those rice patties! Loveyalots.
12th February 2008

Looking Great
Don't know about you but the Shiela next to you looks gorgeous - and I'm not talking about the elephant!!!! Where's more pics!!!!
13th February 2008

More pics?
Boy, what a demanding audience!!!! Hopefully will be putting up more pics when we are in a country with faster internet. In the meantime a few more about to go up with the latest post ;)
13th February 2008

Hey Hey
Heya guys. Looks like your having plenty of fun and doing alot of relaxing. The pics of the monkies, elephant and the sun bear etc are all awesome. Sounds like your room was a bit of a hassle we experienced that at our last stay in the barossa when the spa wouldn't turn off and the shower had no hot water either LOL. Anyways hope you are having a great time we want to see lots of pics when you return. Bye Love Shane and Mim.........

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb