Land of Artisans


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
December 16th 2006
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We did take one of our taxi drivers up on his offer to take us for a day long island tour. We liked that his cab company was based in Bali, rather than the others that are based in Jakarta and send money off the island of Bali. He took us to the Ubud area which is known for its many artists. In one day we went to a batik factory, a silver factory, a huge art gallery of paintings, and a wood carving shop. The variety of art produced in Bali and the incredible talent of the artisans is astounding! We had fun bargaining for our souvenirs at each site as well as learning about how the masterpieces are created. The number of talented artists in Bali made us dream of owning a house in Bali, filled with stone, wood, fabric and painted artwork.

In addition to the art studios, he also took us to a gorgeous Hindu temple complex. Later in the day, we visited the "Monkey Forest" where for about a dollar, you can walk through a park filled with wild monkeys. Of course they sell bananas there too so you can hand feed the monkeys. It was surreal - no cages, just monkeys running around on the ground and swinging through the branches above! Finally, we stopped off at the famous rice terraces for a few photos. The driver explained that the rice harvest had recently taken place and that the fields are planted twice a year.

It was a wonderful day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

PondPond
Pond

The island in the pond is a fanciful turtle.
MuralMural
Mural

CM loved this mural...too bad we don't have space for it at home.
Take the Picture...Take the Picture...
Take the Picture...

I don't like turning my back on these guys...


Tot: 0.359s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 39; qc: 153; dbt: 0.1515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb