Ogoh-ogoh Procession


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Pemuteran
March 13th 2013
Published: March 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

These photos were taken the day before Nyepi.

At about 15.30 the main road connecting numerous towns and villages on the north of Bali was blocked to give space to the carnival procession. If someone didn’t get home in time, he was stuck on the road until late in the evening =)

Each community carried its ogoh-ogoh, a monster made the most ugly possible – to scare off evil spirits. The procession moved along the road, dancing, screaming, beating the drums, shaking and turning the ogoh-ogoh platforms so that they seemed alive. People looked crazy jumping and shouting.

It was very hot and they spilled over themselves a lot of water, leaving behind the procession hundreds of plastic glasses and bottles.

When I came closer, I found that many platforms were carried by children. And it was mostly adults who were dancing, shouting and drumming around. So they made children do the hardest work - carry and shake heavy platforms! You can see their faces on photos – they speak for themselves. That’s the dark side of the festival.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb