Bali - A Glimpse of Local Life and Tour #2


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Kuta
March 15th 2014
Published: March 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our holiday in Bali continues!

This week we had the chance to catch a glimpse of family life in Bali. We were very fortunate and honoured to be invited to Ane's home (Ane is the lovely lady who sells drinks on the beach and supplies chairs and umbrellas to the tourists). She has become a friend and we enjoy sitting at her place for a few hours everyday and have some good conversations. She has picked up some english just by dealing with the tourists so we are able to visit quite well. Anyway, she wondered if we would like to come to her home and visit her family. Of course we jumped at the chance. Her husband and older son (17 yrs) picked us up at the beach and drove us a few kilometres on their motorbikes to their house. You haven't lived until you have ridden around with a local person on a motorbike in Bali! They expertly weave in and out of heavy traffic and narrow lanes and always seem to make it safe and sound to their destination. Luckily, we haven't seen one accident since we have been here but I'm sure they do occur.

It was very cool in that it was a special celebration day for the hindus so Ane and her family were at home from work and school and were all dressed up in their traditional Balinese clothes. We were greeted by her family as well as her extended family. It is interesting how the houses are set up. Each family has their own small concrete dwelling in a small common courtyard that is enclosed by stone walls. There were about four homes and several more in the process of being built. We met aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, grandmas and grandpas who were all very welcoming.

They brought out chairs for us and we all sat around visiting, sharing pictures on my camera and eating fruit. The little kids were so cute as you can see in the pictures. Most of the family can speak some english except for the little kids. English is taught in primary and high school in Bali. Ane's son and his friend played some traditional Balinese music for us on the gamelan (xylophone type instrument made from bamboo). It has such a nice sound. Something we found out from Ane is when most couples marry they live with their husband's family and extended family in the same yard with each having their own house. Anyway, it was truly a wonderful experience for us. I often wondered what was at the end of all the little narrow lanes off the main road!!

We had another terrific tour this week. This time we headed straight north visiting spectacular temples and a World Heritage Site. The Royal Taman Ayun Temple was our first stop. This temple built in the 13th century consisted of several "merus" which are beautiful leveled structures made from palm fibre. They often have 11 levels that represent the 11 Hindu Gods. This royal temple was surrounded by a wide moat which was built for protection from other kingdoms. Speaking of kingdoms, we learned that there are 11 kingdoms in Bali each with their own king. They are more of a religious symbol but are respected and each have a palace and temple.

Next stop took us to another temple from the 16th century built on two small islands on Lake Beratan called Ulundanu Temple. Besides the stunning temples the gardens were spectacular with many interesting flowers, shrubs and trees. The temple
Tanah Lot TempleTanah Lot TempleTanah Lot Temple

Built on the ocean
is dedicated to the Godess of the lake. Farmers come here to pray for rain for their crops.

As we continued north the landscape became lush and tropical. It kind of reminded me of places in Hawaii with windy roads through scenic vegetation. This area is noted for vegetable and fruit farming. It was fun driving past the gardens and trying to identify the different vegetable and fruit plants. Apparently this area in Bali is the only place cool enough to grow strawberries. We stopped and bought some at a local market and boy were they delicious!!

We stopped for lunch with a breathtaking view as we arrived at The Jatiluwih Rice Terraces which is protected as a World Heritage Site. The name of the rice fields in english means "Truly Marvelous". These carefully planned terraced fields are works of art created in nature. To help preserve the beauty of Jatiluwih, only eco friendly hotels and villas are allowed to be built in the area. As we drove along we really felt we were getting a taste of the local way of life in the countryside of Bali as we saw lots of people working in their gardens
Jatiliwih Rice TerracesJatiliwih Rice TerracesJatiliwih Rice Terraces

A World Heritage Site
and rice patties. Although Indonesia grows lots of rice, it's not enough to feed its 230 million people so they import it from Thailand and Vietnam. Interestingly enough, the villa industry has popped up in some of the rice field areas for tourists and expats due to the beautiful scenery, reasonable prices and perfect weather. We were told the villas are very luxurious and of course boast amazing pools.

We ended our tour on the ocean at Tanah Lot Temple where we visited two very unique temples that are built on giant rocks jutting out of the ocean. They were very impressive and apparently hold special "holy water" from the natural springs. In order to pray at these temples you have to walk across the water. Again the surrounding gardens were beautiful and is a popular spot for sunsets.

That's it for this time. We have one more week left in Bali. Thanks for reading.

Mallory and Warren


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Rama Shinta StatueRama Shinta Statue
Rama Shinta Statue

The Story of True Love
MeruMeru
Meru

Eleven levels representing 11 Hindu gods



16th March 2014

Bali
Your holiday looks amazing. We will follow your blog when we go for our visit to Bali. Your photos are spectacular!
17th March 2014
Dragon Sculptures

So Warren prefers the gray skirt and you the orange, Mallory? ( Just kidding- could be a little jealousy seeping through!) Sheila

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb