Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Kuta
November 11th 2017
Published: November 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

I flew to Bali from Sydney on the 26th October 2017 and was met over there by my friend Jenny whom I met in Sydney exactly a year before! The next part of my journey is spent travelling around with her..

Bali. When you hear this word, I'm sure you daydream about palm trees, frangipanis in everyones hair, sun, beaches, relaxing...

Bali. Wasn't anything how I had thought or hoped for. I stayed in Kuta for 2 nights and couldn't wait to get out. The hotel I was in was gorgeous, set back from the main street, nice pool...
  The main strip is FULL of tourists, full of litter, Balinese shop owners hassling and harassing you, mopeds every where you look, they even ride on the pavement and if you're in the way they're more than likely to run you over.
 Kuta Beach was packed, full of litter, ocean had litter in.. I've never seen anything this bad before. The beach gave a stunning sunset though but again it was full of Balinese trying to sell you everything under the sun!

After this time here, I headed to Ubud, which is about 2 or 3 hours North. It seemed to have a nicer vibe, friendlier locals.. But was even more humid because it's not near any water. The day I got there, we rented a taxi and was taken to the famous Monkey Temple - hundreds of Monkeys inhabit here, they will crawl on you, chase you, steal things, but that's half the fun... Avoiding them!
  Again, this place was very touristy and extremely busy.
  Next stop was the Rice Terraces, a stunning backdrop of layers of rice plants. You can walk among them, it's fairly steep at the beginning and the humidity will make you crazy but it is a beautiful place to go and see.

From here, I headed over to the Gili Islands... Gili Air to be exact.
Gili Air is one of 3 islands, Air, Meno and Trawangan. Gili T is the party island, Meno is more romantic and for couples and Air is a chill and has the option to party.
  It was beautiful, but fairly run down. I mean they were restoring the only road on the island so I guess in a month's time it will be a lot better for tourists. Again, it was ridden with litter, a few times I picked up rubbish from the ocean.
  3 full days on the island was enough, I mean each day was spent chilling at the beach, in the ocean searching for turtles, sunbathing, running from shady spots on the sand so we didn't burn our soles, swimming, chilling in the pool chatting to the 'crazy aussies' and eating delicious food.
  A couple of nights we went to the same place for dinner but on our last night of eating there (because of this reason) we saw 2 cats being dragged into the kitchen and then heard 2 sort of stun gun sounds... I can only imagine..
  Whilst I was there, I met up with a friend who I worked with in Halls Creek, Australia, it was a lovely surprise to see her and meet her friend too!

On the journey back to mainland, it was extremely bumpy, when we stopped at one of the other islands I decided to go to the toilet.. Halfway through I realised there was a window behind me and there were about 5 people watching me hover wee! I wasn't even embarrassed, should I have been?!

Back on mainland we headed back to Kuta and that evening we walked along the beach at sunset which were beautiful shades of red, pink, purples, yellow; all reflecting off the ocean. Then met up with a friend from Perth and we met their new friends too so we had dinner in a very local restaurant, to this day I still don't know what I ate but I made sure it was vegetarian! I also tried my first ever Bintang which was actually okay!
  For some reason I'm becoming keen on beer - I've always been a wine, cider and gin drinker but beer is cheap out in Indonesia so have to ween myself on it somehow, and that reason can be because it's their local beer.
  After dinner, we went onto a bar and had some drinks and shared travel stories. I then caught a moped taxi back to the hotel which was fun!
Mopeds are the main form of transport over there because the roads are so small, mopeds get around this situation easily.
  The next day I packed up all of my belongings and put all my washing away and then I flew to Singapore...

Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Tot: 2.285s; Tpl: 0.052s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0454s; 2; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 3; ; mem: 1.4mb