And we thought we knew rain...


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Amed
January 21st 2014
Published: January 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

It's monsoon season in Bali which means every few days it rains. The downpours are short - sometimes just 5 or 10 minutes - and hard. Yesterday Matt and I went for a walk on the beach and got caught up in what they so casually call a shower here. I think it would more accurately be described as death by a thousand raindrops.

The rain doesn't affect the diving but the wind does. The wind brings waves which churn up the bottom making clouds of sand impossible to see through. Luckily there is a freediving shop that has moorings and rents out buoys and lines so on low visibility days we can just follow the line down and back up, adapting our bodies to depth again, stretching, relaxing.

We've talked about making some trips to other parts of Indonesia and Malaysia but so far neither one of us has made a move to book anything. A wonderful lethargy has set in. Because it is off-season here there are very few tourists and some days it feels like we are the only ones in town. Many of the restaurants and warungs that cater to tourists are closed and Amed is silent. Our lives seem distilled down to the very basics - sleep, eat, dive, read, write, eat, sleep.

We've gotten to know a few people: the woman we buy bottled water and beer from, a few fishermen that we see on the beach each morning, kids that come around every afternoon when school is out to chat and play on the beach in front of our house, and the family that runs the warung we visit most when we need to get out. But mostly it's just us two. Sometimes we hang out together on the verandah, other times we take solitary walks or swims. It's quiet, quiet, quiet.

Traveling for an extended time is challenging in so many ways. But it is also a luxury most people don't have and such an amazing opportunity to learn about yourself and the world around you. We feel really lucky to be here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



31st January 2014

you guys will like this...found this in bali yet?
http://www.lifebuzz.co/the-abyss/?utm_source=iajsiaspal9920&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=012914-urlabyssfeed-desktop_IOS_broad

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb