Famous Pilgrimage Places in South India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
April 17th 2017
Published: April 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

South India is one of the richest parts of India, in respect to its culture and traditions. South Indian exhibits the Dravidian style of architecture through its rock-cut temples, scattered throughout Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala, and Andhra Pradesh. Some of the most popular temples destinations of South India include:

1. Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh

Considered as one of the richest shrines of the country, Tirupati is dedicated to Lord Venkateshwara Swami. Besides being mythologically important, this temple is known for its magnificent sanctum and large kitchens where the famous Tirupati ladoos are prepared. Brahmotsavam is the annual festival of this hill shrine. Visiting Tirupati is thus a must in any of your Andhra Pradesh tours.

2. Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu

This city is known for the Ramanathaswamy Temple, which is one of the pilgrimage sites along with Dwarkadish, Puri and Badrinath which completes the Chardham Yatra. This temple worships Lord Shiva and has one of the twelve Jyotirlingas. Mythologically the city is significant as it is believed that here Lord Rama of the Great Indian spic, Ramayana, worshipped Shiva to kill demon Ravana.

3. Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu

Enlist this place in your itinerary of Tamil Nadu tour if you want to attain moksha. Kanchi Mata is the most religious site of the city as it is believed to be founded by Adi Shankara. The other beautiful temples of the city include Varadharaja Perumal Temple, Ekambareshwarar Temple, Kamakshi Amman Temple and Kumarakottam Temple. These temples are huge, embellished with gold and sculpted with mythological stories and life history of renowned hermits.

4. Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu

Located at the confluence of the Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal and Indian Ocean, this city is an epitome of serenity. While the Vivekananda Rock is pious with the footprints of Swami Vivekananda, the Kanyakumari temple is one of the 108 Shaktipeeths of Goddess Durga. Journey over the sea is thrilling here while just relaxing at the shores of the confluence can rejuvenate your heart and mind.

5. Mysore, Karnataka

With the fresh aroma of sandalwood in its air, Mysore is divine. The Chamundeshwari Temple is one of the oldest shrines of the place, located on the Chamundi Hill. The Prasanna Krishanswamy Temple, Shewtavarahaswamy Temple and Trineswaraswamy Temple are the other attractions of the site. Dussehra is celebrated with great pomp and show at the city and if you are on a Karnataka tour this time, the music, dance and fairs will make you feel joyous.

6. Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala

This capital city of Kerala is dotted with numerous temples which exhibit the authentic culture and architecture of Kerala. While Sree Padmanbhaswamy Temple depicts the Dravisian architecture of the 8th century, the Sabarimala Sastha Temple gives you a vivid picture of the Keralite customs and rituals.

7. Belur, Karnataka

Your Karnataka tour should also involve a tour to the 12th century Chennakeshava Temple. This temple exhibits the architectural style of the Hoysala empire. The temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and is adorned with lively Indian sculptures.

8. Madurai, Tamil Nadu

The Meenakshi Temple of Madurai is your prime destination if you are on a religious South India tour. The temple is spread over a massive area of 15 acres and has 4500 pillars and 12 towers. Life seems to be frozen in the sculptures of the temple while its pillars are melodious.

South India is land full of legends and tales and has some of the oldest temples of the country. If you want to fill your heart with serenity and divinity this holiday, go for a South India tour.

Hence go to South India this holiday to feel spiritual.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb