On the Arabian Sea between Mumbai and Salalah March 15 - 16, 2016


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
May 10th 2016
Published: May 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The Arabian SeaThe Arabian SeaThe Arabian Sea

Be Prepared!
Between Mumbai and Salalah

Come nightfall, drapes are drawn and deck lights extinguished to reduce our visible profile. An Indian warship paces us just over the horizon, and will hand us off to the Americans in the Gulf of Aden.

The hard Filipino men with high-powered binoculars are back with their mirrored sunglasses, crisp white shirts and razor-sharp pant creases.

The goggles, flak jackets and helmets have reappeared on their pegs at strategic intervals, the sound cannons and mega searchlights, and possibly infra-red to find body and engine heat in the dark point out to sea, the extra low-level radar station is set up and the fire hoses are hooked up on Deck 3 to be able to repel boarders without exposing personnel.

They won't be on board for as long as they were on the way between the Red Sea and India, including the Persian Gulf, as the time spent in risky areas will be much shorter, and as for the Suez, I don't believe the Egyptians tolerate private security forces on board.

Sounds like we're in for an interesting day in Salalah. We have been cautioned that local cab drivers are sneaky and dishonest
The Arabian SeaThe Arabian SeaThe Arabian Sea

Have never been this up close and personal with a sound cannon!
and try to find ways to part you from your money (no, admission is extra). People who have been there describe it in various ways: undeveloped; slovenly; unfriendly; corrupt; traditional; and remote. The only praise I hear is for its scenery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The Arabian SeaThe Arabian Sea
The Arabian Sea

Has got quite the range!
The Arabian SeaThe Arabian Sea
The Arabian Sea

So glad we did not have to use it! Must be deafening!


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb