My thoughts on India - impracticalities and complications


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
June 26th 2012
Published: June 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

As society evolves, one would logically think that impractical things are weeded out and that there’s a general tendency toward improvement, making things more efficient and practical. But that doesn’t seem to be the general trend in India. I find that it is the general characteristic of people in India to make things more complicated. People can’t seem to function without complications, impracticalities and inefficiencies. For example, I go to buy a bottle of water. It’s a simple transaction. I give him the money, he gives me the bottle, done. But no, things can’t possibly be that simple and straightforward. We must create something extra. We must prolong every experience. What should have taken less than one minute took what felt like forever. Every single thing I tried to do that involved interaction with an Indian became the most complicated endeavor in life. The possibility is always there for simplicity, efficiency and speed but people were totally not interested in any of these possibilities. A simple yes or no answer was the most far-fetched idea in the world. That’s why there’s the famous side-nodding of the head in India. Most things are yes or no with an infinity of implications attached. People just love complications and they will spend hours digging for them.

The one thing that drove me totally insane is the dupatta (scarf women wear around their head or neck). It has its uses but have you noticed how they have to fiddle with it constantly non-stop? It keeps falling, or is in the way, or needs to be adjusted every freakin’ minute, especially when the woman is doing something such as cooking. I just so wanted to rip that thing off them. It’s the most impractical piece of clothing I’ve ever seen in my life! It’s like, they never have control of it, but they seem to be completely fine with that. How can you deal with bigger things if you never even have control of your clothes? People are just so boggled down by stupid, silly, completely useless trivialities in life, and they seem to revel in creating these trivialities. If women ever get liberated in India, the dupatta is the first thing that’s gotta go, in my book.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb