kolkata


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
September 19th 2011
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 - Pulling into Kolkata train station 4 hours later than scheduled, we made our way outside to find a rickshaw, only to discover there was nothing but taxis. Paying at the pre-paid taxi stand, we hopped in the vehicle and made our way to the backpacker district located around Sudder Street. Due to Kolkata's infamous heavy traffic, the 5km journey took us over one hour. When we finally arrived we made our way to Hotel Maria, where the four of us checked into a quad room for the night. Throwing the belongings in the room, we headed out to explore the city stopping next to the local meat market where Chris enjoyed a hair-cut and shave in a wooden shed for the bargain price of 40 rupees (50 pence)! Following this we all met back up at the swanky Lypton hotel for beers, given this was the only place screening chris's beloved Liverpool football match. Once the match had finished we headed to a much cheaper bar for food and reasonably priced beers. With closing time nearing we were forced to drink up quickly and leave by the grumpy doorman! Back in the room pissed as farts, we listened to music, chatted and played with pois before retiring to bed.

Day 2 - Knowing we would be departing that day for Guwahati, we made our way around the local market in search of sewing materials before heading to a rooftop bar for great views across the city. With departure time looming we grabbed some snacks in preparation for the 17 1/2 hour train journey. Collecting our belongings from Hotel Maria, we hailed a taxi and were on our way - Guwahati here we come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb