Howrah SHG


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
February 2nd 2008
Published: February 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Second Howrah BridgeSecond Howrah BridgeSecond Howrah Bridge

Unfortunately, that's smog, not fog, that's keeping you from seeing the other side of the bridge. A real problem here that's only growing with the number of vehicles.
Saturday--

Wow, what a day!

Left at 10, our earliest start so far, and headed out of Kolkata, over the second Howrah Bridge (so-called because it leads from Kolkata into the District of Howrah, still in the State of West Bengal; the first is a cantilevered bridge built by the British). Out into the countryside to Amta.

There, we visited with and observed the work of the Self Help Groups (SHG) of Amta-I Sampriti Mahila Maha Sangha. These SHGs are working to use resources of the countryside, some of which might otherwise go to waste, to produce viable products for the world market. For example, flowers that would be wasted if not used fresh are dried, packaged, sent here, and used to make dye. They are also working with aloe plants and other natural plants to make dyes, creams, healthy drinks, and other products that will hopefully be marketable.

Howrah has a rich tradition of handicrafts to which this is an addition that is designed to support the empowerment of poor local women. We received a catalog of Howrah crafts, wonderful samples of the SHG products, and enjoyed another great meal, after our tour of the production
Blow HornBlow HornBlow Horn

Instructions on the back of trucks--like anyone here needs any encouragement to blow their horn! I think this is more a request to let them know that you're coming around them. Taken from inside our car at the toll booth.
facilities. The ladies and gents who fixed and served lunch were great hosts and hostesses. Just to make Beth, back in VA jealous--we had a potato/poppyseed/cumin appetizer followed by rice, dall, two kinds of fish, mutton, mango chutney, the crispy, very thin, fried almost-tortilla-like piece, and, of course, sweets for dessert!

I have one of the candles at home in Virginia that had been given to me in October. There is a bit of it left in a drawer in the bathroom and every time I open the drawer, I enjoy the scent!

I'll let most of the pictures speak for themselves as I need to get to bed--we leave at 7 a.m. tomorrow for the Sunderband!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Arrival greeting sighArrival greeting sigh
Arrival greeting sigh

For us--and that wasn't all!
Meeting roomMeeting room
Meeting room

Numerous district dignities, representatives, as well as the Exchange Project Coordinator and Pro-VC spoke before we were asked to say a few words about our experiences and how this project might relate. Here's me at the microphone. The Registrar is interpreting for us as some of the guests spoke only fluent Bengali and wanted to understand everything. Notice my new shawl!
Dye productionDye production
Dye production

Flowers are fed into the grinder (Herb, don't have another heart attack--yes, by hand), some water's mixed in and a dye is produced. Once filtered (the filtered material is used elsewhere), the dye is used to color the candles which are produced by the women's Self-Help Group. They've also had success with using the dye on silk and wool.
Bags of dried flowersBags of dried flowers
Bags of dried flowers

The flowers are originally grown to sell live, especially at festivals. Tons go to waste and are usually washed into the river, causing pollution problems. Rather than going to waste, these will be used to make dye.
MentorMentor
Mentor

Pro-Vice Chancellor of JU is on the left. He's the energy behind this project. The gentleman on the right is a community mentor, encouraging the SHG. He greeted us in very good English, was the host of the day.
Making candlesMaking candles
Making candles

The wax is melted over a flame (may be able to see in back left), mixed with the dye, and poured into the candle mold.
Some more lovely ladiesSome more lovely ladies
Some more lovely ladies

Hard working ladies were very open to us and to demonstrating their skills.
Mass produced facilitiesMass produced facilities
Mass produced facilities

These will serve the rural communities as toilet facilities--the first for some communities. Note the space for your feet! The child and the kid were an extra bonus!
Rice paddiesRice paddies
Rice paddies

The area is one of rice paddies. This is taken from the second floor of the SHG building
Beautiful flowersBeautiful flowers
Beautiful flowers

Dahlias easily 8-10 inches across
Smaller candlesSmaller candles
Smaller candles

Also produced on-site
And on the way home...And on the way home...
And on the way home...

Speeding along at breakneck speed (we actually asked the driver to slow down--we were not in a hurry), of course we stopped for the cattle who were crossing the road--but not for long! Stuck the camera out of the window and snapped!


2nd February 2008

I AM jealous!!
Hi Susan, Chuks, and Miguel!! I am extremely jealous of the lovely food--and tomorrow I will be even more jealous of your trip to Sunderbands. That is a fond dream of mine. Can't wait for the pictures and commentary. By the way, the shawl is lovely. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist. Beth

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb