Destination Gaumukh


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Uttarkashi
December 29th 2010
Published: December 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post


Gangotri - Gaumukh Trek at High altitude

Journey in brief:

Day 1 : New Delhi - Dehradun - Uttarkashi

Day 2 : Uttarkashi - Gangotri

Day 3 : Gangotri - Gaumukh - Gangotri

Day 4 : Gangotri - Uttarkashi - Dehradun - New Delhi
That fine day I hopped into a train to Himalayas alone. was it a lost pursuit for something ? Nope. Yes. I am not sure. whatever is the reason but you need to get completely out of head for walking 38 km straight in a day at an altitude of 4000 M on the shadow of Gaumukh glacier.
wrapped up everything at my office on that Friday night.. i took a midnight train to Dehradun. it was a comfortable journey. took 6-7 hours...

Next morning I had to take a share taxi to Uttarkashi because its nearly impossible to have a direct journey of 275 km in a day and one can not afford a night travel on those dangerous route to Himalayas...

River Ganga on the way to Gaumukh from Gangotri

for sure it was not insanity for chasing river Ganga till its origin neither was I motivated by mythological stories. it was all about my love to Himalayas and a dream to see river Ganga comes out from a glacier. it was not that comfortable journey to Uttarkashi...
it was picturesque beauty all around on the bank of river Ganga. I was travelling with some locals. got fair idea about flora,fauna. and specially about all near by places in that region. many water streams merging and resulting confluence with mighty river Ganga. many villages in the lap of mother nature in those valleys of Himalayas narrating their glory. you will completely get into mood of spirituality. would be mesmerized with natural beauty.........


and hypnotized with the reflection of sun light on those snowy peaks of the great Himalayas range.... finally i reached to uttarkhashi. i had to stay there for one night.....
its a spectacular town in that valley on the bank of River Bhagirathi ( Ganga is called as Bhagirathi in that region )...I roamed around in that town. went to forest department office for getting permission to gaumukh trek. water falls were all over on those hilly treks...

River Ganga Near Tehri Dam

Next morning,i need to catch a share taxi to Gangotri. and finally i got a fellow traveller on the journey ahead to Gangotri. A solo traveller from South Africa. you can never be sure about departure time for those share taxis to gangotri. there are two rules.
1) Taxi will only depart when it is full..
2) Taxi will never be full....
we were lucky that it departed and i reached gangotri without any physical damage. got a room with basic amenities. roamed around in that village. took bath in the Ganga freezing water. some beautiful temples. an extremely calm place surrounded by snow peaked high Himalayas range. next morning was D-Day. so i decided to sleep little early after having light dinner at Gangotri.

Read more :
http://thinkingparticle.com/blog/destination-gaumukh

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 19; qc: 51; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb