Day 4 (Richikesh)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Rishikesh
July 7th 2011
Published: July 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Richikesh, the center of Yoga and meditation in India, made famous by The Beetles visit in the 60's.

We arrived in Richikesh an hour ago, the bus drive took about an hour and i slept through most of it. I awoke to see 5 or 6 young men running by the side of the bus. clearly trying to look at Mireia. I can see what the LP guide says about the added attention that some women experience in India, from the little i have seen it is mainly just lingering looks and harmless attention, one rickshaw driver even adjusted his wing mirror off the road so he could see into the back of the rickshaw.

As we got out of the bus the boys lingered, mainly to attract us to their rickshaws (it seems each driver has one or more helpers to rustle up customers). We just said no and waled away, we did need a ride, but they were to annoying and crowding to deserve it. One had the right idea and just stood a few feet away, close enough that we knew he was offering a ride but far enough away that we could talk to each other without feeling crowded. I knew where i wanted to go, a place in the hills above Richikesh town where most backpackers go, the other two agreed and we set off. Unfortunately the rickshaw driver wasn't quite ready. We had arranged a price and he agreed but only if we waited for more customers to ride with us, he promised us two minutes wait only and disappeared. After a few seconds a bigger turned up and started asking for money for food, then some boy passed by. lingering by the rickshaw/ After a few minutes the driver return alone, asking for two more minutes, we told him we would find another rickshaw and he agreed to go, we had one about 50 meters before he stopped, one of his boys had managed t find more customers. They piled into the rickshaw and we headed off.

After a quite pleasant journey up into the hills above Richikesh we arrived at the hotel we had planned to go to, i had previously intended to go to a different one, but the draw of and internet cafe and a good restaurant changed my mind.

It really looks like I'm getting into the Himalayas now. My hotel room has a good view out at the surrounding mountains and the River Ganges below. The room is alright, and there are two geckos in my washroom. Right now I'm sitting just inside the hotel restaurant (i was outside but it just started raining). waiting for Oscar and Mireia, who are meeting me for dinner.

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Dinner was good, i went for chicken and mushroom lasagna and i spent a few hours talking to Oscar and Mireia about loads of things from Spanish school riots to their plans for their trip. They are planning to go to Nepal in the next few days, which might be something to consider if i get to Leh sooner than anticipated.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb