A beautiful little hamlet


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Mukteshwar
August 29th 2004
Published: August 29th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Isn't it beautiful! Isn't it beautiful! Isn't it beautiful!

The Kumaoni beauty
I was staying at a beautiful cottage in Jeolikot near Nainital when my hostess suggested that I must visit Mukteshwar if wanted to enjoy the true Kumaoni mountain air.

So, on my second day in Kumaon, I planned to visit the place, which was made famous by the legendary shikari Jim Corbett who killed a man-eating tigress in 1929, responsible for hundreds of killings there. He truly loved this place. "There was no place more beautiful than this and no climate anymore salubrious", remarked Corbett about this little Himalayan village. The guesthouse in which he stayed is still there. If you visit this beautiful and calm little hamlet, you too will fall in love with it.

Yes, this place has that kind of pull which makes you not want to leave. Its snow viewpoint is as good anything you could think of. The drive up to Mukteshwar from Nainital is an experience in itself. Winding roads passing through tall pine and oak trees give an exhilarating feeling.

Situated at about 8,000 feet, earth appears to be ending here and one reaches a point, which seems the last point one can approach. From here one can get
Another LookAnother LookAnother Look

It feels so soothing and calm
180 degree view of snow covered Himalayan wonders.

Another important place here is the Veterinary Institute. It’s more than 100 years old. Permission is needed to enter the Institute. The campus has a museum, library and departments for research, animal nutrition, genetics and bacteriology. There are wonderful, quiet walks within the sprawling campus.

Just before you reach village, you can visit Mukteshwar temple, which is just off the road and you will have to climb few stairs to reach it. That’s not all. Walk down to Chauthi Jaali, a rocky cliff jutting out of the hillside. If you lean over the slanting rocks, you can see the base of the mountain but watch your footing!

Mukteshwar is a good place for family picnic. If you are one of those with your trekking shoes on, then you will find a lot to indulge in your passion.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb