Visit to Saranath


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Sarnath
February 7th 2009
Published: February 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saranath is the city that the Buddha gave his first lecture after receiving enlightenment under the Bodhi tree in Bodhgaya. We traveled there with Anil youngest daughter who traveled by train from Delhi to be our guide. She is 26 yrs old and is an accountant in Delhi.

We hired an all day Taxi to drive the 12 k from Varanassi. 900 rupees all day. We visited the Museum and walked the grounds of the old ruins of the temple that used to be there. At the ruins we had a little run in with local guides who were giving are friend a hard time. Telling her that she was not a registered guide and could not act like on. I told her she was our guide and friend and to leave us alone. They did not. I went to the main gate to look for a guard, did not find one. Eventually they left us alone.

I was struck with the idea that conflict can be anywhere. I consider this place holy ground to some degree. A great teaching took place here and the earth itself feels sacred. Walking the grounds and feeling the antiquity is awesome for me. Was disappointed it was not more peaceful overall experience.

Stayed and meditated for a short while. Our friend and guide was nervous all the while there about the men who bothered us earlier. She was anxious to leave.

We went to the local restaurant were I order an omelet and Annya some Subji or vegetable dish. My lunch was good , she did not like hers.

After Saranath we went back to Varanassi for more sight seeing and a little shopping.

All is well and will be heading to Bodhgaya next. Bodhgaya is were the Buddha was enlighten.

Anil let me use his camera to get these pictures. Have the movie camera and will try and figure out how to take still shots with it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



9th February 2009

Sarnath Ruins/Enlightenment
Gazing at the first picture ( not the one with Suttas) of Sarnath ruins is sheer enlightenment . Standing at the site and looking at the ruins is awesome. I was there in January 2006 and could feel the presence of harmony and peace ! Nice blog Richard and Annya. it is hard work to do the blog right. Annya's pics are great!

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb