Taj Mahal .... That is all!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
August 20th 2014
Published: April 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Ok so its been quite some time since I wrote a blog... and I am finally back on track and ready to start writing again.. ALOT has happened since my last blog but I will get to that in good time!



We arrived in Agra to a man holding a sign with my name on it... We were staying at Aman Homestay and they had sent a driver for us. When we arrived at Aman, the family were still sleeping, but all got out of bed sleepily to greet us and make us some beautiful Chai. Once we settled into our rooms (which were really lovely) we showered then decided to head out for breakfast. The homestay arranged a tuktuk for us for the day and our driver was waiting for us. His name was Vicky and he looked like Super Mario. He was extremely happy and quite funny and he drove like a maniac! He told us on the way to breakfast that to drive in India you need three things "a good horn, good brakes and good luck" lol



We had breakfast at a dodgy rooftop cafe that Vicky recommended us go to. It did have views to the Taj Mahal... and when I saw it for the first time it was kind of surreal... but the food left alot to be desired and we were quickly wishing we had gone to one in the Lonely Planet nearby! Lesson learnt about going where your tuktuk driver recommends! Vicky then took us to Agra Fort and we wandered around for an hour or so. We decided not to get a tour guide or the audio tour and halfway through we did regret it. There was obviously alot of history to the Fort and we did not get the full experience by just walking around. TIP: don't be a scab... pay for a tour guide!



Taylor was not feeling well so we went back to the guesthouse and while she lay down, Brandon and I decided to head to find a gym. We headed off to the fancy Raddisson hotel nearby who had said we could use the gym. A lady escorted us through the hotel (we felt very out of place in our gym gear) and showed us this amazing gym, and then when we asked the price she then decided to tell us that outside guests were unable to use it! WTF... could have told us that before you showed us! lol.



We then asked our tuktuk driver Vicky for a gym and he took us to the most dodgy looking hotel in the middle of nowhere... We were led up to a gym and had to laugh. It was so old school but there was HEAPS of equipment and they charged us a paltry $1 to use it! LOVED it! After we had a gym session we went to have lunch at a restaurant recommended in the Lonely Planet... The food was awesome.. We had Dosa's which are a south indian cuisine, washed down with icecream sundaes which were to die for. Afterwards we headed back to the hotel and when we got there, Taylor was now hungry. Brandon went to lay down for a nap and I took Taylor back to the same restaurant as I couldnt stop raving about the food! I ended up eating another two icecream sundaes while Taylor had her main meal! Oh well, I am on holidays after all!



We went to the back area of the Taj Mahal for sunset. Its a small area close to the Taj that you can view the Taj Mahal against the backdrop of a sunset and popular with tourists and locals alike. We took some photos of the Taj. A few of the local boys decided to become fixated on beautiful Taylor and in the end I had to tell them I was her mother and to leave her alone! LOL



We had dinner that night at our guesthouse with a group of other guests that were staying there. It was all homecooked by the family that run the homestay and the food was beautiful and authentic. We retired to our rooms after dinner and had an early night as we were getting up early for sunrise at the Taj!



The next morning we accidentally slept in and missed the sunrise at the Taj! Can you believe it! lol One chance and we missed it! Oh well! Taylor and I were both feeling the pressure and reality of India and while it wasn't a fight, we did have a little niggle at each other and went our seperate way for the morning! Both of us had been in each others pocket for the past week and I think we just needed our own space for a bit. Taylor headed off to the Taj Mahal with some of the other guests and after a good cry and feeling rather homesick, I headed to the Taj Mahal with Brandon. We wandered around the Taj Mahal for awhile snapping lots of photos. It was extremely beautiful and quite overwhelming.



Afterwards we headed back to the guesthouse for breakfast and then I spent the day chilling in the garden of the guesthouse catching up on my blogs and doing some reading. Brandon went off to do some more sightseeing since we had a car booked for the day. Taylor turned up before lunch and after a quick hug we headed off to have some lunch. We ended up at a little place called Pinch of Spice which was a little pricer than normal but high class and the food amazing! We washed lunch down with a couple of cocktails and ended up dragging Brandon back there that night for dinner it was that good!



The following morning we said a sad goodbye to the beautiful Ranjana and her family before heading off to catch a train to Delhi.... it was a short but lovely stay at Aman Homestay and Agra. Next stop : Delhi


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



13th April 2015

Good to see you back on track, enjoyed the read :)

Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 22; qc: 118; dbt: 0.1768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb