Wanderings in India - 2 - Agra & the Taj Mahal


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
November 9th 2013
Published: November 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

First view of the Taj Mahal throught the entrance archwayFirst view of the Taj Mahal throught the entrance archwayFirst view of the Taj Mahal throught the entrance archway

Note Alison, 3rd from left, in the first group with no-one else in front of the Mausoleum
A very early start today, 05.15, for a very special reason - our visit to the Taj Mahal. A short ride in the bus, a walk through almost deserted streets for 200m before arriving at the gated entrance. Our tour group were at the head of the queue, only 1 hour to wait for the gates to be opened. Strict security checks, before entering the complex, a short walk down an avenue before turning into the main entrance and there before our eyes was the amazing spectacle of the Taj Mahal! sparkling and glowing white in the early morning light. Wow and wow again - a privilege to be here and see with our own eyes this amazing Mausoleum dedicated to love. We were in the first group of six, unbelievelable, no crowds in front of us for the first 10 minutes - pictures of the Taj Mahal in its pure and pristine elegance. Walking around the Taj Mahal you appreciate its total symmetry, you can see the extensive intricate carving in the marble, the Pietra dura - flower designs of inlaid semi-precious stones in the marble. The Mausoleum was built by Shah Jamal for his wife following her death. Undoubtably the highlight of the tour but there are going to be many other wonderful sights and experience in the days to come.

Back to the hotel for a late breakfast and then straight off to visit Agra Fort - there is going to be no rest on this holiday but we don't mind when we are seeing all these amazing sights.

Agra Fort is situated on the west bank of the Yamuna river and was built, in red sandstone, by the mughal Emperor Akbar between 1565 and 1573. We enter through the imposing Amar Singh Gate and beyond opens up a complex arrangement of halls, marble palaces, mosques, courtyards, galleries and dungeons.

We then crossed the river for a short drive to the Tomb of Itmad-ud-Daulah often referred to as the "baby Taj". The tomb was built by the Empress Noor Jahan in memory of her father. This was an exquisite building, thought to be the forerunner of the Taj Mahal. It has been described as a "jewel box in marble" and it certainly is with combinations of white marble, coloured mosaics, stone inlays and lattice work.

We have the long drive to Jaipur tomorrow.

Scroll down for more photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The amzing ceiling in the Tomb ChamberThe amzing ceiling in the Tomb Chamber
The amzing ceiling in the Tomb Chamber

The ceiling consists of incised, painted and guilded stucco & stalactite patterns.


10th November 2013

India 2
I can\\\'t believe you got the Taj Mahal with no people. How lucky is that? Beautiful photos. I hope you got the \\\'sad and lonely one of Ali on The Bench.
10th November 2013

Blog Two from India
Text and Photographs superb. Photographs when enlarged are first class, can swee Alison very easily. All the various visits are very interesting and informative. Keep up the good work. But yourselves time to breath. Many thanks and pleased you are both well. Love D.
11th November 2013
The amzing ceiling in the Tomb Chamber

Comments
Wow and wow again Sophie has talked about India since we met and we are all impressed by the photos Sophie off to Paris on Wednesday and packing now Joanne and David off to Ripon on Friday Spot the difference!!
22nd November 2013

Taj Mahal Tour
This is great information! Will definitely check this out as a travel option. Thank you!
1st January 2014

Thanks for sharing these
Nice Information. I am love to enjoy the tour in Agra.Best tour in Rishikesh.

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb