Agravation


Advertisement
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
March 4th 2013
Published: April 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Agra - grubby, overcrowded, totally tourist-oriented, 'want postcards?', 'need taxi sir?', hassle, hassle... It’s best to get in, see the sights and get out – as quickly as you can. Arrive around midday. In the afternoon, visit Agra Fort for a distant view of the Taj Mahal down by the Yamuna River, then the glorious ‘Baby Taj ’ (the tomb of Itimad-ud-Daulah), before takin... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

Calligraphy from the Qur'an (Koran) on the front of the building. Higher panels are written in slightly larger script to reduce the skewing effect when viewed from below.
Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

Pietra dura on this jewel of Muslim art.
Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

The white marble came from Makrana (visited on our way to Roopangarh - see my blog: 'A marbleous place')
Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

An interesting costume.
Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

Brightness among the whiteness.
Take a picture please...Take a picture please...
Take a picture please...

It's a strange phenomenon in India - strangers ask to have their photo taken with you, on your camera!
Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

The 'Grey haired nomads', not as young as they used to be, continue to photograph the Taj from a seated position!
The Post Office, AgraThe Post Office, Agra
The Post Office, Agra

There were no queues to buy stamps at Agra's main post office and these postboxes simplified mailing of the postcards.



11th April 2013

I concur.
My husband and I stayed at the Oberoi Amarvilas a couple years ago (an anniversary gift to ourselves). It was pretty flipping amazing to enjoy the view of the Taj from our balcony in the morning and the hotel is a site unto itself. But, when I take my kids back to Agra, we'll be staying at the N. Homestay. That was a splurge I don't need to repeat.
11th April 2013
Mehtab Bagh

My favorite photo of the bunch - I like this this one seems to capture a natural, relaxed moment in the splendor of the gardens.
11th April 2013
Tomb of Itimad-ud-Daulah

Lovely
This is a hard picture to get. Good job!
11th April 2013
Tomb of Itimad-ud-Daulah

Technically, that photo isn't lovely!
You flatter me! I included it only because I thought someone might be curious about what's inside the Baby Taj. It's forbidden to photograph inside the Taj Mahal itself of course. This was a difficult shot - almost dark inside, bright sunlight outside. Technically, it's awful - hand-held 1/10th sec at f/4, blue reflection off the lens filter, burnt-out detail in the window, etc., etc.!
11th April 2013
Tomb of Itimad-ud-Daulah

Whatever
Oh I know that technically speaking its not a masterpiece. But then again, I rarely look at things technically...
13th April 2013
A camel bus!

Camels, camels everywhere
I am impressed with the number of camels you have seen and photographed during your time in India. I spent almost three months there and never sighted a camel bus!
13th April 2013
A camel bus!

A bus_y time in India
Thanks Shane. I may sometimes be disparaging about poor old camels, but I can never resist photographing them!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb