Taj Mahal in Agra


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
February 1st 2010
Published: February 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Gateway to the TajGateway to the TajGateway to the Taj

The massive red sandstone gateway contrasts with the delicacy of the marble of the Taj.
This memorable visit to one of the wonders of the world is best described from Lynne's diary:

"The Taj Mahal is truly breathtaking. In the haze of the early morning when we arrived it arose from the lawns and water grdens like an ethereal palace against the pale blue sky. It is gigantic, towering over the landscape, but the pale, intricately carved marble gives it a delicate, fairytale quality. It seemed impossible to try and capture the essence of the bulding on camera but we did our best and our guide even managed to elbow the other tourists out of the way to get a shot of us on what, of course, is known as "The Diana Seat". I am looking a great deal happier than the tragic princess.

"Our guide gave us plenty of time to explore inside the bulding where we could see the tombs of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan and his beloved wife, Mumtaz Mahal, and then we sat together on one of the seats in the grounds, just trying to absorb the beauty and majesty of this Indian icon, for surely we will never pass this way again."


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

View of TajView of Taj
View of Taj

We arrived early to avoid the worst of the crowds and the Taj was surrounded by a haze which seemed to enhance its mystery.
The Diana SeatThe Diana Seat
The Diana Seat

Looking considerably more cheerful than the tragic princess!


4th February 2010

what a sight
Hello Lynne.....I remember seeing pics of the wonderful Taj Mahal which Tracy had taken while in India and hoped that someday I might see the wonder of it for myself. Thankyou so much for your wonderful commentary....we did enjoy it.
4th February 2010

delhi
wonderful photos....I hope whatever I said of Taj Mahal was true...have nice time in the rest of you trip.
12th February 2010

Breathtaking isnt it.......to think that one man dedicated this to his beloved Mumtaz,and her memory. Enjoy!!

Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 60; dbt: 0.2035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb