Day 3 - Agra / Taj Mahal


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
December 24th 2008
Published: December 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We started our journey from Delhi to Agra early this am with our spectacular driver, Johad. He weaved in an out of traffic like a dance, occassionally honking at the random scooter, tractor, taxi or rickshaws trying to cut us off. Lane markings seemed to be more suggestions than requirements. If there were 2 lanes, you would see at least 3 cars sharing the road. At one point, we were stuck behind a 30-car pileup due to a scooter accident and he maneuvered around it - driving on the sidewalk as other cars were turned back to drive on the wrong side of the highway. Ocassionally, we saw a truck or car driving down the highway going the wrong way - and our driver simply stated that they missed their turn....

It took us about an hour to get out of Delhi traffic. My mom and sister were exhausted and put their eye shades on. I couldn't sleep since I was in awe by the sights around me - this was our first glipse of the deep poverty surrounding Delhi. It's hard to imagine how so many people can live in such crowded and dirty conditions - while we are staying in huge hotel rooms just steps away. We also noticed very few women out & about . . . most of whom are carrying heavy loads of food on their head with little babies crawling beside them.

What amazes me most about India are the people. With all of the intense challenges that face them, they have an indominable spirit...this intense desire to do their very best, smile and welcome outsiders with an open heart.

From Melanie:

We are now in our third day and finally I am awake, excited that we will see the Taj Mahal on a beautifully clear & sunny day. The grounds around the Taj Mahal are manicured and beautifully landscaped. Thirty six years ago (on my last trip to India), there was no organization around the monument; instead, we saw open fields of red clay and hords of pilgrims lining the revelection pool and moats, some bathing their feet. Today the area is pristine and suitable for a picture on a post card....that is what tourism will do and in this case, it was good. The fact that one of the seven wonders of the world was built as a testimony of love and devotion is awesome and uplifting. The inlaid calligraphy and the carved floral designs that incorporated prescious stones in the marble are lustrious against a perfect blue sky and a setting sun. We are treated with an incredible view from every direction as we made our way around the tomb.

Today we awoke to a peaceful & restorative morning yoga practice with an elderly yogi, KamalYogi (lotus union). It was the perfect start to our day journey to Jaipur, the pink city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



26th December 2008

Merry Christmas
Just viewed your site. I love traveling with you this eve of Christmas Day. Thanks for this wonderful gift. ENJOY! love and light, julia

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb