Train & Agra


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
December 22nd 2017
Published: December 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Train & Agra



Day 22. Friday 22nd December







Got up at 5.45 and met the sleepy Reedies at reception at 6. We had paid all our bills last night so just dropped keys off and left with all our luggage. The manager had told us that it wasn’t worth booking a taxi as the station was nearby, so we took his advice and flagged down an auto-rick which happened to have extra boot space. We crammed our bags in there and had plenty of room for ourselves. At the train station we got a porter to carry main bags, mine over a shoulder, 2 on his head and another pulled behind, he went to the end of platform 1 and crossed the track to platform 2. Although our train wasn’t in yet (it was only 6.15 by now) they have little signs that show where each carriage will stop, ours was C1, so he dropped our bags there. We sat around a while ‘till a chai wallah showed up and we all had some chai, except Rocco.



Our train pulled in at around 6.50 and we climbed aboard with luggage which went on large overhead racks. Seats were well padded and reclined like aircraft ones. We were lucky in having a whole row with tables, that is 3 seats one side and 2 the other with an aisle between. We set off 5mins late, at 07.10am. A guy came round handing out free 1ltr bottles of Rail Water (from IRCTC). Then 10mins later we each got a small tray with: tea-bag, powdered milk sachet, sugar sachet, spoon, cup and pack of 2 biscuits. A few minutes later we got a plastic flask of hot water for every 2 of us. I was sharing with Esmee who made a right mess of this procedure; powdered milk, and later hot tea, everywhere. I had to retrieve quite a bit of biscuit from her cup too! But she enjoyed the challenge.



Esmee & Rocco made friends with the boy from the family sitting opposite us, showing him games on their Kindles and playing toy cars with him (Rocco only). They were from Maharastra, on holiday.



Around 8.30 they brought more trays around, this time containing; 2 slices of white bread, a pat of butter, a sachet of jam, a sachet of tomato sauce, a foil container with 2 vegetable sausage things, and a carton of what I think was sweetened lemon juice. Esmee didn’t eat much - half a jam sandwhich and some juice, but again she enjoyed the procedure. That was it for food & drink, but not bad for free with our tickets.



After 3.5hrs we arrived at Agra Fort station (at 10.40am - still 5mins late). We got 2 porters to take our bags over the lines, to the exit, where I was confronted by a host of auto-rick drivers offering me everything with knobs on, if only we would get in his cab. Luckily I saw a guy at the back holding my name up, he was sent by our hotel, so knew the way. We had to get 2 auto-ricks though, with me & Rocco sharing one.



These auto-rick races are always fun. Any journey is rather like a fairground bumper-car ride with many close shaves but the occassional bump (they don’t even get out to check any damage – just carry on as it’s part of the fun). But with 2 vehicles overtaking each other you can wave or often grab at each other as you pass.



We eventually reached Hotel Kamal at about 11.30. But were told that not all our rooms were ready, but just to leave our bags in my room (on the ground floor) for half an hour. We did, and then climbed up the 3 floors to the roof terrace which has a very good view of the Taj Mahal which does look spectacular. We ordered drinks from the waiter who went back down to get them (kitchen is on the ground floor), but he didn’t bring sugar so had to go again to get some. He also had a gammy right hand due to a cut tendon, and a gammy leg as he was limping. All this made us feel guilty for ordering anything.



After an hour we went to find the Reedies room which turned out to be quite nice and not far from mine. We arranged to meet in an hour or so and had showers etc. We then went for a walk along the East side of the Taj complex (the Taj was shut today as it’s Friday). There was some heavy security here with 2 armed road blocks, although motorbikes and pedestrians just went through unhindered. We passed some men working on some red stone, chizelling the blocks into large oblong shapes. We could see new stones in the 30 foot high wall that we were following, so guessed that this was their use.



Eventually we reached the river and had some amazing views of the Taj from behind the corner tower, near our location. The river looked nice (from a distance) but the shore was lined with litter. Many birds around and a cobbled horse (one front and opposite back leg tied together to prevent straying). On our way back, past the auto-ricks hussling for business, there was a line of shops, mostly closed as it was Friday, but a cafe was open so we stopped for a drink. It was an overpriced, trendy cafe which made for an expensive stop. The kids had been very naughty so didn’t get the chocolate bars I had for them had they been good. We went past our hotel and checked the road to the South Gate of the Taj (the East Gate has a ticket office 2 miles away, the West Gate is very busy as that’s where all the tourist buses go, but the South Gate is just around the corner for us).



We went up to our roof terrace again and had some dinner – spinach & cheese curry for me, kids had cheese burgers (which were potatoe burgers with cheese, Esmee just ate her cheese). Monkeys were bounding about the rooftops and trees below us to the kids amusement, especially when they had casual sex whilst passing each other in a nearby tree!



We went to our rooms for an early night. It had been a long day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



23rd December 2017

Lovely Taj pics!
How great to get an hotel so close to the Taj. The photos are great. Please tell Esmee that her photo of the rest of you was very good too. Incase I don't get the chance again before Xmas Day - hope you all enjoy whatever you do on 25th. When we were in Mexico on Xmas Day 2005 Shirl and I climbed up to a pyramid in the hills above the town we were staying in and later had a very nice meal in a restaurant. Made a nice change from Brit Xmas traditions.

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb