Ooty-licious!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Ooty
February 13th 2010
Published: February 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

We’re still trying to catch up on all the blogs. Our current location (Alleppey) seems to ‘close’ at nine so there really isn’t much else we can do…No ‘special tea’ served here.
So, this part of our trip led us further and higher inland to the Nilgiri Hill Stations in Tamil Nadu state. The hill stations are a cluster of about three or four little towns built alongside the railway. Our plan was, in effect, to travel down the stations backwards but we’ll get on to why travel in India doesn’t always go to plan later.

We were roughly 2000m above sea level and the highest peak lies at 2600m. This meant a new type of chilly weather was to envelope Nikki’s bronze skin and serve to make Gail feel more at home. We had yet another exciting journey making it up this epic hill on the cheap and cheerful Indian public bus. We were crammed in with legs bent-double over our rucksacks as some selfish people wanted to sit down. How rude. Six hours of sweating at 4km/h chug-chug-chugging made a rather unpleasant journey worse. Luckily, the views were absolutely stunning and unlike anything we have seen so far in India. The tea plantations look gorgeous climbing up the hills side and are surrounded by the tallest trees ever.

We found another four-quid a night room (yeah) and the whole hotel was painted in a lime green gloss. It was run by some lovely yet strange men who felt in necessary to wake us up at 7.30 every morning to ask if we wanted coffee or HOT water. We seem to be getting lots of free bonuses with our hotels and this one was no different…on night three, tucked up sleepily a little scratching could be heard. Yep, a free mouse in the room! Good always cancels out the bad as we had a TV and managed to watch Federer win the Australian open and catch up on Baywatch Hawaii. Nice.

Ooty and its cooler climate mainly attract tourist to do hill trekking. Unfortunately, seven months later and Gail’s foot is still causing her some grief so we weren’t able to do this. Such a shame as the surroundings really are beautiful. We did manage to book ourselves onto another touristy day trip where we got to see all the major sights: Lake, Botanical
TKC -BoatingTKC -BoatingTKC -Boating

Safety first!
Gardens, Dolphin’s Nose, tea plantations and the highest peak. Imagine our horror when our old, rackety tour bus reverse-parked at the highest peak and then the helper boy quickly jumped out to place a rock behind the wheel to act as a break - Death Bus 3?!

Yet again, we enjoyed our celebrity status on the bus and found ourselves to be the only European tourists. This meant that our guide’s commentry through the sights made little sense to us but we enjoyed watching everybody else nod along and then pity us. Lovely to see quite a few couples on their honeymoon who were really interested in whether we were married or had boyfriends. They also looked quite shocked to learn our ages. We think Indians assume that we’re 18 and most English tourist ask what we’re studying at college.

We spent an afternoon at The Lake which is pretty much like Windermere. Obviously we let the knitted characters loose on a pedal boat. They had a lovely time but were pretty tired afterwards. Next to the lake lies the knitted characters’ Motherland: Thread World! Imagine the size of Nikki’s smile when she saw yet another crap museum. Yes, we went in. (N.B Ooty is home to the second Wax World but luckily Gail managed to refrain Nikki from this treat.) Thread World is basically twelve-years worth of seemingly pointless work. It’s basically a garden created by wrapping thread around things so that they resemble plants. Twelve years - seriously, why? We managed it in minutes but the nice boy happily posed with TKC as a memento.

Ooty is a really relaxing place and Gail has ranked in her top three already. The only downside is that the further away from Goa we stray, the harder it becomes to find food. It’s got to the point where we are walking into places literally asking for “Food” and still being told no. There’s a lot of confusion as the locals speak limited English, less than our Indian, and the overly-complicated lunch/dinner menus make it a nightmare and constant drag. Also, after the illnesses early on, we’re really weary of places that don’t look particularly clean.

As mentioned earlier, the Hill Stations are connected by the famous Blue Mountain Express railway which is a little steam train. This is one of the reasons we went there as the views down the hill are fantastic. We decided to catch the train out to our next destination but back in November there was a huge landslide which has closed the central sections so all our planning was buggered. We jumped on for part of the journey in our First Class smug seats and saw the lush, green, beautiful scenery with our eyes. Our ears on the other hand were busy being bombarded with tales from our new best friends Neil and Hazel Professional Photographers. A really lovely old couple who have been to India over 20 times and were absolutely full of travellers’ tales, warnings and advice. Neil was a professional photographer and his kind wife insisted he take a photo of us on our ‘little’ camera. Cleaver us decided to copy all the photographs he took.

With the landslide buggering up our plans, we made a detour to Conoor then on to Coimbatore for the night. This actually proved to be one of the funniest, drunkest evenings in India to date - mainly because we could actually find alcohol! We stayed in the weird boozy little area opposite the train station as we were due to leave the next day for Fort Kochi. We leant a lot about Indian culture this night as we headed out for a couple of drinks:
1) The bars don’t have windows so you can’t tell what you’re walking into - good or bad…
2) There are no women in the bars
3) There are no women’s toilets
4) Men are not used to seeing women in their bar
5) They try to sit women in the corner
6) Nobody puts Baby in the corner
7) With each drink order, they bring you at least five free snacks
8) We had these instead of paying for dinner
9) Chicken, chilli chips, cumber, pineapple, Bombay mix, boiled eggs and vodka please…
10) It’s cheaper to buy vodka & mixer than it is lager
11) We visited all 6 bars in the area
12) The best bar was The Pub. We were escorted to the entrance, introduced to the manager,
shown to some seats and chaperoned by the waiter all evening including to and from the male
toilet. The 18-25 year old boys were told to calm down their dancing, and not to look at or talk to
us.
13) This treatment felt very alien to us yet, at the time, we appreciate why they do it as we would
have been pounced on.

Needless to say, we had our first proper Indian train journey with a hangover! Indian train stations are huge; the trains are at least 30-40 carriages long, if not more. We booked a general seat which is known as cattle class but turned out to be alright. We were told by Hazel to ‘fight for our seats’ but the real issue is finding them. It is so confusing as there were no guards to ask, the tickets made no sense at the time and the sheer size of the train makes it a bit of a free-for-all. Eventually, we managed to shift some people and settle in for the journey. The highlight came about half-way through when the hawkers started walking up and down the carriages selling chai, hairbrushes, books, deep-fried chilly, etc. There was a hawker who was a little more aggressive than most it has to be said… A Hijra (visible non-heterosexual group in India that’s made up of a caste of transvestites and eunuchs who wear women’s clothes) sauntered down the aisle demanding money off everyone. Those who don’t give get a filthy look and an actual hit. We were hit on the shoulder. Surreal.

Overall, trains are great; Ooty is lovely; Coimbatore is a blur; Hijras are scary.

Much love,
Gail and Nikki



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Tea PlantationTea Plantation
Tea Plantation

spot Nikki?
Dolphin's NoseDolphin's Nose
Dolphin's Nose

We thought this was lies so put gail's nose in there instead. Can you see a Dolphin's nose?
Us 2600m highUs 2600m high
Us 2600m high

no nose-bleeds


13th February 2010

get help
is there no little humpa lumpas to carry those bags? lol
16th February 2010

Looking good
Hey Girls You're both looking Naitive.......the knitted characters seem to be full of life, getting upto all sorts. Seems you're doing loads aren't you tired. You are missing NOWT here it is freezing - snow again. No spring weather yet although the nights are getting lighter and creeping in.. keep safe :)) Keep the post coming
17th March 2010

dear Nicky Glad you enjoyed Varkala Beach I went for about a week on my first trip to India but there was little development at the time except the obligratory hippies up on the cliffs breathing the ever lasting OM. The beach had no shacks at the time and the only the source of remorse from the relentess sun was a spring water shower. Are the water ghats still at the crossroads with the restaurant overlooking?. I recall being woken up one morning to the thud of what I thought could only be a sound system, hence I left to investigate only to discover a bunch of krishna's banging tabla's and bloke trying to offload some dodgy smack. I wanted to send you a photo of Freyja but this comment box does not seem to have the tools to complete such a task. Really enjoying being a Dad but the journey to Sheffield becomes ever more dismal. Well only six months until I bow out of Shelter Towers and I have a week off every month between now and October. I have just read in the Guardian travel from 13.3.10 some excellent islands to visit in Thailand but very near the Cambodian border it's called Koh Kood and it looks amazing. If your heading back to Bangkok with time to spare there's another small island by the name of Koh Sichang. Anyway e mail direct so I can send you some photo's. Stay safe Steve

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb