The beauty of Mahabalipuram Pancharatha Temple


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Mahabalipuram
January 11th 2014
Published: January 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Pancharatha Temples




If shore temple is the most attractive point in Mahabalipuram then Pancharatha temples are the next attractive attractive points of Mahabalipuram. These are considered as world heritage sites of India.

The pancharath are the five rathas (chariots) made of stones. These chariots are named after the pancha pandavas of Mahabharata. Thus there are five temples for the five pandavas, viz., Yudhisthira, Bheema, Arjuna, Nakula and Sahadeva.



Apart from the five rathas (chariots) or temples, there are other interesting stone carvings and statues. A huge stone elephant (picture below) and a huge lion are the most attractive monuments there. Those are very beautiful photographic points.



The stone carvings and sculptures of Mahabalipuram are very impressive. I first visited this place in 1985 with Durgesh, a friend of mine. Subsequently visited a couple of times and last probably in 2004. The most recent visit was in December 2013. The stone carvings were always attractive. There is no boredom even if you visit this place several times.



One has to do an entry ticket (Rs 10/-) to visit the pancharatha temples. The ticket is a combined ticket for both shore temple and pancharatha temple. This ticket is available at the counter in front of the shore temple. As I mentioned elsewhere still camera is free and hand held video camera is allowed on written request (Rs 25/-).



You may like to see my video on Pancharatha temples on youtube below.

<iframe style="color:� font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; line-height: normal;" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XmE6qZCFx8k" frameborder="0" width="480" height="360"></iframe>

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb