You're Sure Your Husband Won't Mind?


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Chennai
July 27th 2010
Published: August 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The date was just ok. He's definitely not 'second date' material though. And, yes, at some point...I think it happened while I was standing on the side of the highway outside the hotel...it did cross my mind that I was meeting a near stranger and paying him to take me out and maybe this wasn't such a great idea. Alas, I do have a measure of common sense. A measure. In all seriousness to my dear readers who may be concerned for my safety this was all arranged by the hotel manager. No request is refused so when I went to the front desk asking for someone to take me to the movies management made sure I had an escort. Did I just say escort?? That makes it sound weird. And management is suppose to call me today and check on how it all went so no problems. (This is just a side note, but kinda funny. Last night at dinner I'm with Jeremy and Mike and the 'band' plays a really upbeat song I know. Mike dares me to ask one of the waiters to dance the tango cause he knows they can't say no to a guest. The whole image in our minds make us die laughing. First of all, no one's dancing. Secondly, I don't know how to tango. Thirdly, I'm sure the Indian waiter Rasheeth doesn't know what the heck the tango is. So put those three factors together along with the fact that Rasheeth can't tell me no, and the mental image is pretty darn hilarious.)

Ok, back to the escort. I think he felt more unsure about the situation than I did. Matter of fact, I KNOW he did. He kept saying, "This is so unusual for the girl to be buying the tickets; Don't hand me money in public; All my friends work at the theatre and they're really going to be wondering who you are; I've got to explain this to my girlfriend tonight; Does your husband know you're with me?" and on and on and on. I'm thinking "For the love of mercy! Will you just please stop talking! You're a paid date!!" Anyway, I do buy us popcorn and Coke at the theatre which I think really embarasses him cause I paid for it. He keeps saying "you don't know how unusual this is for the girl to be paying." Yeah, otherwise this is just all typical right? And he continues to want to chat during the movie, which is kind of like being with Jeremy, except everyone in the theater is talking and cell phones ringing and phone calls answered. AND he figures out the end of the movie like ten minutes into it and tells me. Oh and another thing about seeing a movie in India is they have an intermission. So at a really climactic point mid-movie there's a 10 minute break. So all that having been said, it was a nice diversion to the day but not a profound experience.

Speaking of profound experiences, I have had a couple "Ah-ha" moments in the last few days. I've got my creative juices flowing cause I want to do them justice on paper. I'm going to take a ten minute intermission now but I'll be back shortly.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.326s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 117; dbt: 0.1052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb