“How great…


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Chennai
April 17th 2010
Published: April 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

…is our God, sing with me how great, how great is our God.” Those are the beautiful words I heard at Little Lights Childrens’ home two weeks into outreach. While Jono, Kelsie, and I were ironing the school uniforms, the little voices raised that praise to the Lord. It was about 10:30 in the morning and the children were not at school. That is because the festival of harvest was happening (Pongal). It is a Hindu festival that is celebrated all over the world. Instead of participating in it, the future YWAMers were upstairs praying, praising, and learning. After singing praise songs, both common English ones but also Tamil worship, the children and some of the female staff: Daisy, Sathya, Kathra, and Gladia, laid hands on each other and started praying fervently over each other in Jesus’ name. It was such an amazing sight to see and it lifted my heart and brought such joy to my soul. 5 to 12 year olds laying their hands on foreheads and shoulders to seek Christ with and for their peers. To lift requests up to the one true God. My how their little hearts just blew me away! I can see why the home is called ‘Little Lights Childrens’ home.” These children are so different from the rest of their peers outside the home. They are taught how to follow Jesus by the amazingly gifted staff at the home, and they really take it to heart. When they go home to their parents, their parents may be partaking in worldy things, but the children start telling their parents to stop doing those worldy things and why. They are hearing what LLCH is teaching them-to actually be little lights.
Now how do they get to LLCH? It first starts with the Chennai YWAM base we stayed at and building a friendships there. Volunteers, YWAMers like us, come to package medical kits at the base. We fold squares of gauze or roll long pieces of gauze. Then it is packaged and taken to over 30 leper colonies in just Chennai alone. Because of the help that the lepers are getting at the colonies, they wonder if these same people can take care of their children as well, seeing that they are not able to with the disease. The children then go to Little Lights where they get good meals, education, and fellowship about and with Jesus. If they were not at LLCH, they would probably be out on the streets begging with their parents and not living the life that Jesus has for them. But because of people out on the field and those working in 9-5 jobs that support missions, LLCH exists because many people are helping to support Streams of Mercy, which is an organization that starts childrens’ homes and orphanages like it all over the world. My prayer is that these 34 children in LLCH will be future ywamers and missionaries in their own country of India. To have Christ use them to change the course of history for India-A Jesus desperate nation.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb